Spektrum satellite what does it do?

there is a port on the bottom of the quadrino for plugging in a Spektrum satellite receiver. Doing a google search gives a lot of information on how to get it to work but I have yet to see a page that explains what it does. So what does this do for the quadrino. I happen to have one so I can add it but not sure what I’m doing with it.

Thanks

Hi Arfman,

It’s possible to connect a satellite directly to the Quadrino Nano but you will have to perform a pin change on the connector.
There is an explanation about this on RCGroups HERE if you scroll down a bit.

Note: The satellite has to be Bind to your transmitter prior to be used on MultiWii / Quadrino Nano

:slight_smile:

But what does it do? I must have looked at dozens upon dozens of web pages explaining how to do this but I did not see a reason to do this. What functionality does it add or enhance?

Also, I just can’t help asking this question but why would a port made specifically for the satellite require the pins to be changed in order to use it? Or rather why was it designed this way?

Thank you for your help!

Ok the Spektrum satellite is in fact a R/C receiver using “Serial / UART” communication instead of the usual 3pins per channels connection.
When use with the Spektrum system, you usually have a receiver and add some satellites to cover a larger area and avoid blind spots while flying.

The MultiWii project support the communication protocol of the Spektrum Satellite, that’s why you can connect it as a receiver.

About the pins, that’s a simple mistake in the design which has not be corrected yet on the production units.

So it’s another satellite to avoid blind spots when used in conjunction with a Spektrum receiver. Thanks.

This is If you have Spektrum system, you can use that As your receiver.
No need to have any other receiver connected when using this option.

Very cool. So I’m assuming that you go through the same binding procedure with the transmitter? I have a DX8. So what I tried was powering up the drone and connecting to WinGUI. Then I pushed the button to bind the satellite. Then I powered on the DX8 while holding down the bind button.

That didn’t work, the LED never comes on the satellite. I then tried powering the transmitter first holding the bind button, and then pushing the “bind spektrum” button in WinGui. Did not work.

Then I plugged in a different, known good satellite and tried both ways. Nothing worked.

I had reversed the pins on the cable as shown in the posting for that. I’ll double check and post a picture in a little bit.

What else should I try? The AR8000 receiver was powered off during the procedure, of course.

Thank you.

First, let me explain that MultiWii is an open source project and the WinGUI as well. We are not the writer of the code.

This said, as I wrote earlier you need to bind the satellite prior to use it with multiwii. Just connect it to your receiver, bind it once and move it back to the Quadrino.

Also, make sure to select the type of receiver in the FCT before flashing.

:slight_smile:

If you come across the term “Satellite Receiver”, it has nothing to do with satellites in earth orbit. It is just a term to describe an auxiliary receiver normally used to improve reception by plugging into the ‘main’ receiver.