Soldering Wire to Battery Holder

I am told there are no stupid questions, but this one may change your minds.

I am working on my second robot, he is going to use 5 D-cells and has 4 motors each with 5 amps draw at stall.

A little math implies 20 amps, if I stalled all four motors.  While I am hoping to never see 20 amps draw, (yes I am putting in a fuse), I am not very impressed with the wires coming off the battery holders.  They are 24 gage, and I was thinking about using 16 gauge wire for the wires coming off the battery holders and the leads of the motors.

My problem/question, is I am not quite sure how to solder the new wire on.  On closer inspection the current wire is attached to something like rivets set into the plastic of the holder.  I suppose I can just heat this up and try to solder the 16 gauge wire on but am concerned I may melt the plastic before I succeed.

Has anyone here soldered wire onto a battery holder before and if so is there any trick or technique to this?

Thanks,

Hal

Are you using rechargeable

Are you using rechargeable NiMH?

If so, scrap the battery holder entirely. Use Araldite to glue the batteries into a 5-pack* then use brass bars or at least 16 gauge wire to interconnect the batteries ready for use; and re-use. A Deans plug on the cabled batteries will provide a high-current connection to your kit.

Leave plastic holders to little batteries (and hamsters).

* Edit: I mean glue them barrel-to-barrel, not end-to-end, of course, remembering to alternate them appropriately.

Already all said :-)Yes it

Already all said :slight_smile:

Yes it will melt but if you not want to go with the other suggestions try to use a screw to connect the wire. 

My suggestion would be to make a battery pack. connect them with solid connectors and put everything in shrink tube…

Thanks

Thanks for all the answers.  I think I will try the “screw” approach suggested by Lumi, at least long enough to run a quick test on the my base.

This is my first try at a 4-wheeler and I want to see if the base turns “OK” or is going to rip the wheels off, hop-skip-jump or do some other undesirable trick.

If the base moves OK, then I will probably either go with the “make your own holder” or “solder them into a pack” approach.

Thanks for the soldering suggestions but I am not subtle with a soldering iron and not melding the battery holder sounds like it requires more finesse than I am likely to muster.

Appreciate all the support, it is funny some of the questions that come up when you are trying to put Frankenstein together …LOL.

-Hal