Soldering - how to solder

soldering.jpg

here's the best one i've found so far,it really helps a lot.

http://www.curiousinventor.com/guides/How_To_Solder

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_NU2ruzyc4
1 Like

"Sodder"?

What kind of accent is this? I think this is a really good howto, but I can’t get past what I perceive as an unusual pronounciation of “soldering.”

I may have to go through this walkthrough :slight_smile:

Some say my soldering is really bad on my videos… However - I just wanted to say that the original responses to this video and walk through where not very relevant or helpful to anyone, and so they have been deleted. Feel free to comment if you have something relevant to comment with.

Happy soldering :slight_smile: - And thanks for posting, Captain!

Surface mount

SparkFun Electronics has a good tutorial about soldering surface mount devices here. If you are new to soldering it’s really useful to see how using solder wick can help you.

the article doesn’t talk
the article doesn’t talk much about the sponge used for cleaning. You have to keep it wet right?

When you’re using it, yeah,
When you’re using it, yeah, otherwise you’ll end up burning it and possibly setting it on fire.

???

Wesley

where and what is the best soldering gun for a begginer

i don’t know how it works
i don’t know how it works for you but, with my 30 watt soldering iron i can’t achieve what the guy in the video does, the only one i manage to get the solder molten is by putting it directly on the tip. Maybe i should change voltage?

I had the same problem when
I had the same problem when I was first starting out. Then someone finally told me the key to heating things up when soldering: Put a thin coat of solder on the tip of your iron every time you solder something. When you get done with that joint wipe it off on the sponge. Then repeat every time you go to solder a joint. That little bit of solder on the tip acts like the thermal grease between the heatsink and cpu on your computer.

thank you for the tip.

thank you for the tip. Actually my previous post is quite old, since that post i’ve improved a lot and actually managed to solder joints properly :slight_smile:

Although most of the times i don’t use that method, but i apply a heat bridge directly between soldering iron and parts to solder, but that’s the same thing, nothing different. Only one thing: why do you have to wipe it off every time you get a joint done?

Over time residue will build
Over time residue will build up on the tip and can cause a decrease in performance. Also if you use too much solder on a joint you can end up with a blob of melted solder on the tip which can dangerous (read hot dripping lead on pants). It’s just good practice when using this method to clean the tip off before you put the iron back in the holder.

yeah i just meant cleaning
yeah i just meant cleaning it between joints

PANTS?
Who solders in their pants?

Great tutorial! Thanks for
Great tutorial! Thanks for posting it!

Very helpful
This will really help me out alot.

Sorry to bump an old thread

Sorry to bump an old thread to the top, but check out this post. This is a good example on why something that looks as easily as soldering shouldnt be taken so lightly.

I have a cold heat soldering iron. I broke two tips in 5 minutes ($10 USD each). The iron wasnt getting hot enough to melt the solder. I changed the batteries and it worked like a charm.

If your soldering iron isn’t melting the solder, change batteries (if it runs on batteries). If it is a plug in, let it heat up longer. Never leave the soldering iron on a part for more than a second or two. If you overheat the sensor, LED, DIP, etc it WILL damage it. It then will eat up a lot of time when your circuit doesn’t work and you have to troubleshoot and desolder the part. Always take your time! Thanks Calc for a life lesson that will save me a lot of time!

Solder tutorial as comic book

Check it out. Maybe it can help somebody.

http://log.andie.se/post/4529161438/soldering-is-easy-the-comic-book

Very Helpful, Thank you for

Very Helpful, Thank you for the post!

Here’s the free version, as
Here’s the free version, as the linked one is for if you want to pay.

Would you like to review SQ-D60B soldering iron,PM me.