Solar Trike

Much thanks to D&G Green Products for their support http://www.dggreenproducts.com/

GOPR0296.jpg

My team and I are building a solar powered trike for a solar innovation contest. I do not have much information as of now, but i did pick up the solar panels today. I am still working out the finer details. I know i will need some lead acid batteries, a motor, a trike, speed control,  and a charging circuit. If you have any advice, feel free to leave it in a comment :) No i dont get to keep the solar panels, they are the school's :(

DSC04935.jpg

DSC04936.jpg

DSC04940.jpg

DSC04939.jpg

UPDATE 11.27.10

I went driving around town looking for an adult tricycle to buy. Well i found a store that sells tricycles but they were a bit steep for a school project budget, but the goldmine i hit was the owner of this store. His whole house runs on solar power, he has made many electric trikes before, he has all the components to do exactly what i need. He is basically an expert in this. I lucked out finding such a person in my town. 

He led me to his back storage where he was able to sell me a scooter which has most of the parts we need for $30. 

The scooter didnt have a chance...

DSC05056.jpg

What i needed from it was its control box...

DSC05045.jpg

...throttle...

DSC05047.jpg

...key switch...

DSC05048.jpg

... 36v motor...

DSC05054.jpg

and maybe chain and sprocket 

DSC05053.jpg

The batteries are shot

DSC05061.jpg

The throttle, key switch ( I left the keys at the guys shop), motor, and batteries plug into the control box. This will read the throttle and control the speed of the motor. Easy enough.

I still need to acquire a trike, batteries, and a charging circuit. The last 2 i can get from the guy. Then the building can really begin.

Maybe next year we will do a solar powered unicycle ;)

DSC05055.jpg

Update 1.23.11

Well the trike is running on electricity! 

"wait, the last update was when you took apart the scooter and now you have an electric trike?" YES!

The biggest hassle was not building it, that only took 2 days. The hardest part was finding a cheap tricycle, that took months.

The whole thing was basically built with those scooter parts which is pretty cool i think. Motor, chain, sprocket, motor mount, throttle, key switch, and speed controller came from that scooter. The batteries came from another scooter also.

Sorry no real construction photos because like I said, it was built extremely fast. 

The hardest part of the build was the motor mount. The best place to put it was in the back so the chain did not have to be broken (It had no master link). The chain and sprocket is from the scooter since it was made to fit the motor.

DSC05175.jpg

You can still pedal the bike also, due to some fancy bike part that I do not know the name of. It is the thing that the sprocket is bolted to and that slips on the axel. (seen below) Basically when the motor is spinning, it spins the sprocket and the axel making the tires move. When you are pedaling, that magical bike part free spins and does not spin the motor's shaft. 

DSC05178.jpg

The trike has a shifter on the right handle bar because this is a 3 speed. I did not want to tamper with that so i put the right hand throttle on the left handle bar ( I am a lefty anyway)

DSC05179.jpg

Everything else goes in the basket.

DSC05181.jpg

you have the key switch

DSC05182.jpg

The controller

DSC05183.jpg

The batteries costs $5 for all three. They are old but have been de-sulfated so it was a very good deal considering new ones are $40 a piece. They are 12v 12AH and are wired in series.

DSC05184.jpg

So there you have it for now. It runs good. Next I need to add the solar panels.

GOPR0295.jpg

DSC05180.jpg

DSC05187.jpg

DSC05186.jpg

UPDATE 2.13.11

I have the solar chargers now. I bought 3 of them, one for each battery. Next i have to make a cart for the solar panels to sit on and be pulled behind the trike. I will have to change some of the wiring but that should be easy. 

DSC05212.jpg

DSC05213.jpg

DSC05215.jpg

Update 2.14.11

The cart is almost done. 

We had a $20 trike we bought laying around so we figured the back end was good enough to use as the cart. Sorry no photos before it was ripped in half and painted, you can imagine...

DSC05236.jpg

DSC05238.jpg

The tires where garbage

DSC05234.jpg

So with support from the same local bike shop, we had all new wheels, tires, and a shaft lended to us for the project. We shouldnt need the cart after we give the solar panels back, unless some one wants to donate solar panels :). 

So in the end, with a shiny coat of paint you have this

DSC05227.jpg

DSC05228.jpg

Wheels still have the price tag on them

DSC05229.jpg

Next the trike has to be hitched to the trike, but here is an idea of what it will look like. Bars will run across the cart to hold the solar panels. 

DSC05231.jpg

DSC05233.jpg

DSC05232.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kCVzC594Po

Bummer

What if you accidentally “broke” the panels, thus you might as well “throw them away?” Tax-write off for the school perhaps? There’s a scheme somewhere…

I guess you need to start by

I guess you need to start by knowing what your current load would be.   those panels are producing 4 - 5 amps in sunlight, so you may not even need a battery (minimize weight).    but if you do, then you want a deep cell marine battery.   like car batteries, they’re rated for 12v, but you charge them with 14.4v like the alternator in a car.   unlike a car battery they are designed to be charged and drained over and over, whereas a car battery is shot if you do that 3 or 4 times.

you can buy a simple charge controller for under $50.

make sure you have a diode between the solar panels and the battery to prevent the panels from draining the battery in darkness.   sometimes they are built into the junction box on the back of the panel, but not always.

whether you connect the panels (and batteries) in series or parallel will be decided based on the motor requirements.

treat charging the batteries, and using the battery to drive the load as 2 seperate things.

size of the battery will be determined by how long it needs to provide current absent the sun, or plus the sun, etc.

put a fuse on each panel and each battery.

how big is the trike?  will it carry one of your lucky team mates?

my avatar is a project that does most of what your talking about, without the trike however.