Software serial oscilloscope

Some years ago I made this software oscilloscope and shared it on this site. Then a couple of years passed without me logging on, and in the meantime the link to the file went bad, and apparently some folks actually wanted to use the program.

Well here it is again in case someone wishes to use it. I created a new thread because when I tried to edit the old one it started acting weird.

The software is very easy to use and rather self-explicatory. It simply visualizes the numbers it receives via the com port chosen. It was made to work with Arduino, but I see no reason it wouldn't work with any device sending numbers via a com port.

Limitations:

* Windows only.

* It only supports 8 bit numbers, so that's what you need to feed it from your Arduino (or whatever you use). My plan was to make it support 16 bit and perhaps 32 bit too, but I never got around to it.

* It's only made for one channel, but if you have several devices connected to different com ports, you can open multiple instances of the program and choose the com ports appropriately.

Here is a small Arduino sketch for testing it:

byte val = 0;

void setup() {
  Serial.begin(115200);
  Serial.print("START");
}

void loop() {
  Serial.write(val);
  val++;
  delay(2);
}

And here is a link to the program file:

http://wikisend.com/download/469698/Oscilloscope.rar

Doesn’t work…

I downloaded the rar file and ran the exe in it. Then uploaded the code you wrote above to my Arduino Uno connected on com 21. Then set the com in software to com 21 and baud to 115200 and tried to start the scope but it didn’t work. It said that unable to open com port 21.

To vishurockssrivastava:

Sorry to hear that :frowning: I’ve had no such problems using different com ports, windows versions and Arduino IDE versions. Did you by chance turn on the scope while the sketch was still uploading? I know it cannot connect if another aplication is using the same com port at the time. Try perhaps closing the Arduino IDE before turning on the scope (allthough in my case it’s enough to wait until the sketch is finished uploading). At this time I don’t know what else it could be :frowning:

I am trying to learn

I am trying to learn processing by reading random codes from around the internet and a serial oscilloscope will be a really nice application to implement in processing. It is on my to do list this weekend.