Smart Servo Voltage Range For Serial Communications (and PWM interface)

I read that I can power the smart servo with +12V, but I can’t find the electrical specifications for the serial interface (which I will probably use in PWM mode). Can it also be interfaced with 12V? I am creating a custom PCB and I’m trying to minimize the number of voltage regulators that I need. I’m basically looking to see if I have to have a separate voltage for the servo versus it’s communications bus. If there is a common voltage that would work for both, that would be ideal!

1 Like

Hello @besterm and welcome to the RobotShop community,

Are you referring to the Lynmotion Smart Servos (LSS)?

If that’s the case the recommended operating voltage is 12V and the communication is TTL Full Duplex Async Serial (5V).

You can find more information about the servos here:

Regards

1 Like

Thanks for the info. I wasn’t sure if the 5V communications spec had a min/max spec. I was thinking maybe I could use 6V for both the servo motor and the communications. I will design my board with separate 5V and 12V supplies to be safe.

2 Likes

@besterm Welcome to the RobotShop Community. Indeed, using a ~12V supply to power the servos is best. The input voltage can be dropped to 6V and the servo will still operate, but there are losses in torque and speed. Serial communication really needs to be 5V, and there are issues going higher or lower.

2 Likes