Smart Servo: The Difference Between Smart And Regular Servos | RobotShop Community

Robots keep evolving and so do robot components used the make these new stronger, faster and more precise robots. One of those new components present in more advanced robots, are smart servo motors, also often called robot servo motors. In this article, we will expose the main differences between regular servos and new smart servos.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://community.robotshop.com/blog/show/smart-servo-the-difference-between-smart-and-regular-servos

Need to use smart servo for my next projects

Very supportive information

Hello Slatour,

Thanks for the information on the Smart servo. I am currently planned to use smart servos for my UAV project.

The autopilot which I have, can capable to drive servo by PWM-TTL signal [ TTL‐Level HIGH: min. 2.2V, max. 5.0V TTL‐Level LOW: min. 0.0V, max. 0.8V ]

Is there any special dedicated hardware(controller) to convert the PWM TTL to RS485?

Please suggest me the recommended procedures adopted to convert the PWM TTL to RS485 like in my case.

Thanks in advance.

Normally smart servos are not very relevant to a UAVs’ propulsion system, so how do you plan to use them? Smart servos use serial input, so if you only have a PWM signal, you won’t be able to use most (RC servo likely won’t be an issue). Not aware of any PWM to RS485 hardware since it cannot “know” what it is you’d like to do with the input / output.

Is there a second part to this article? many thanks for all this useful information!