Silent (veryquietatbest) drive system for robots?

Hi folks, i'm looking for a silent or quiet drive system for my robot.

It is just a wheeled device at the moment.

I'v ordered a tamiya track and wheel set which won't arrive for a few days, and

i was wondering if anyone could tell me how quiet it is without the motors, ie does it squeak and rattle etc.

i'm pretty sure the tamiya motors i'v ordered with it will make some noise as they are geared down.

researching this site i came across Gareth's first robot (initially mistaken for spam :)

he used a wax & rubberband wind up motor, which was very clever.

I'll try making a large one to see how much grunt and speed it can get, maybe i can wind it up with a noisy electric

then let it go in stealth mode!

I was thinking of trying pulleys and rubberbands for the bot though.

has anyone come across very quiet motors which aren't either tiny or too weak, as my

bot needs to be able to carry approx 1/2 kilo (batterys, mechanical arm, water squirter etc. to give idea)

or is there a way of quieting down a motor, would PWM'ing it make it quieter? (but slower)

thanks for any feedback

High quality motors with

High quality motors with sealed gearboxes and run at low rpm driving wheels not tracks would probably be the quietest. Those tamiya gearboxes are NOT quiet. They sound like 300 banshees inside a metal rainwater tank.

I really like the idea of using a motor to wind a rubberband beforehand for silent running. You could use a servo to lower the rubberband powered wheels lifting the motor driven wheels off the ground and at the same time releasing the catch on the R.B.P.W.