Shift Registers with Arduino

On this page there is a tutorial for using shift registers with arduino http://www.arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/ShiftOut

The person has attached two shift registers togther by plugging one into the arduino and the second is getting serial from the first register. Would it be possible to attach same 10 shift registers in this way? Would it be slow or inaccurate? Would the code be over complecated? Would there be to much current draw?

Any help is good

I have not tried this

I have not tried this myself, but by the looks of it I can’t see any problems on daisy chain 10 of them. The shift registers them self will not slow down the system but the amount of data pushed out by the micro controller might. And with respect to accuracy, as long as your code is good and signal noise levels are at a minimum, it should be no problem.
When it comes to current consumption, the registers won’t draw much, but every resistor/LED pin will draw some.

It would be ok if i put a

It would be ok if i put a transistor on each output though

I can’t see any need for a

I can’t see any need for a transistor setup. Each of your 10 shift registers will be powered by the same source, so every chip is capable of driving the LED’s attached to it. What I’m saying is that you have to multiply the current used by one LED by the number of LED’s in your array to figure out what current your circuit is pulling if all LED’s are on.