Shaping polymorph using paper templates

After two weeks of cutting paper and cardboard, I cannot help but wonder:

Would molten Polymorph soak a piece of paper? Has anyone tried this yet? Think of all the hot applications!

8ik (just ordered half a kg)

sulfurized cooking paper

sulfurized cooking paper maybe ?

it’s heat resistant, grease and waterproof

or “bakewell paper” which is a siliconised non-stiking baking paper

Soak? Huh?
Soak? Huh?

like this:

melt the polymorph
put a piece of paper in (ordinary drawing paper perhaps)
let it soak: the polymorph would (hopefully) get absorbed into the paper
pull the paper from the molten goo
let it cool and harden
ét voilá: a flat piece of polymorph in the exact same shape as the piece of paper

Or that is what I am hoping anyway.

That’s a negative, nogo,
That’s a negative, nogo, sir. It would not soak, only glue in a thick layer. Would make a mess!

pity
back to the drawing board!

Casting

Can you poor molten polymorph? If so, then the traditional approach would be to make a master template in wood or something then make a negative using, say, wet sand (which would be firm enough to hold its shape. Then poor the polymorph into the sand and let it set. I’m sure there’s a load of technical terms that I don’t know, but you get the thingy.

Mike

**like a candle **

you could do it like a candle, dip the paper in and take it out till it gets coated then do whatever you want with it

i have never tried this because i dont have pmorph, but it might work

I know about mold casting
But I was hoping I found a new technique to add to our box of tricks.One that would be great for creating very intricate designs in very thin surfaces.

No
No

To soak in water, you’d need
To soak in water, you’d need something that was fluid when melted. Polymorph is gluy. Yes. That is a word.

NeverTear

Xerox has a paper called PREMIUM NEVERTEAR. It feels like thick paper or plain white (thin) cardboard, but it’s made of polyester. It’s waterproof, difficult to fold/crinkle, and it doesn’t tear. The thickest quality I have lying arond the office now is 270g. It comes all the way down to 80g I think (that’s “normal” copy paper thickness). Maybe I should send you a sheet for testing? Send me your adress if you interested, OK?

/ vzz-clck-“Maneuver”

I love this; People sending

I love this; People sending stuff to each other, so cool!

Every day is a party in here :smiley: Gifts and stuff. I just send a chip to Ant, who is on the other side of planet earth than me… some time ago he send me some polymorph. I think I send him some servos as well, yes I did. Cool.

** It’s heartwarming, really.**

It’s heartwarming, really.

Except that rik hasn’t taken me up on the offer.

Relax rik! It is possible to print on it, so you can make it look like your 5mm grid paper. -Or you could even print some pizza logos on it if that makes’em easier to work with:-D Just joking…

-And I’ve discovered another neat feature: if you fold it, then run a hot iron along the fold, you’ll get killer paper planes. I’ve sent them out of my 4th floor window and later gone down to the parking place to retrieve it and simply brush of snow and dirt, and it’s almost as good as new.

/ vzz-clck-“Maneuver”

Except…

No I have not. Yet. I am awaiting my first batch of PolyMorph to arrive. And see what I can experiment on that.

I never had any speific problem to solve or application to discover. I just wondered about this little question.

Rik