Setting up 3DOF Phoenix for the first time and need help

I spent a log of time doing that previously

a lot of time not log… sorry

when you start the Lynxterm. program and click on the reg button and click read … It shows all the offsets I have already set… it seems to have saved it all…

WHen you say it has to be within a few degrees… I wonder if the worst legs are the ones not within a few degrees and it’s rejecting those? hmm…

Success… I seem to have a functioning Hexapod!! I think the legs I had to adjust the most did not save properly… So I removed the knee screw on those and readjusted back to 1500 and I seem to have a functioning Hexapod for the first time… I still have to fix one leg I think but hopefully I can do that… Oh boy what a journey that was… tx…

Ok… now it seems to be running out of steam … I have 6 v on the battery however… does it like more?

or maybe 4-6 v as per servo requirements…

The 6V battery lasts around 15 minutes (but of course depends on use). Keep in mind the servos are supporting the weight of a robot, which is the main reason why legged robots are not a lot more popular for practical applications.

Happy you’re able to get it up and walking! If you see that some feet are not quite touching the ground, then it’s a question of fine calibration (the walking algorithm is not terrain adaptive).

Care to share a video? (Youtube for example)?

1 Like

It will start up fine and go great for about 20-30 seconds and then the legs will go limp and start twiching… I have one of those digital chargers that also discharges…
the Volts show anywhere between 6 and 7 V when I go to charge it… so I try discharging and down under Volts and then that takes a while and then when I start charging again the Voltage indicates between 6 and 7Volts… I’m not sure what to do… I have two batteries and this happens with both… One of them I bought from you the Lynxmotion 6V 2800… Nimh…

1 Like

THe battery is at 5.76 V at this time… and same thing… walks great for about 10 seconds then the legs go limp and start twitching a bit…

1 Like

This is under no load… while on the stand…

1 Like

Oh do I have it undercharged? what is the max charge I can do this battery? https://ca.robotshop.com/products/6v-2800mah-nimh-battery

1 Like

This battery did come pre charged and it was over 7v

1 Like

It really does sound like a battery issue. A 1.2V NiMh cell charges to 1.4 or 1.5V, so 5 cells would be ~7V to ~7.4V.
The battery does look like the photo and indicates 2800mAh? It’s been the standard for well over 10 years so should not be problematic.
Can you also check the voltage of the batteries in the remote control? Never leave the remote on as it will drain the batteries within a few hours.

Can’t imagine or spot any other big drains on the battery pack. I guess - can you measure the charged voltage with an external multimeter?

1 Like

OK you have given me good information here… I don’t think I left the remote on but I might have… also I am charging the 2800mAH battery now and it has already taken 308 mA… so I’m thinking it was undercharged… So I will try it all again later… Hopefully it will work… Thanks…

2 Likes
4 Likes

That looks well calibrated! Really happy to see it successfully walking!

1 Like

Hi ttnownow,

My apologizes, I was away for the last couple of days.
Seems like you got it to walk, can I ask if that was with the file I provided earlier ?

All the best,

1 Like