Servo motor controlled with photo beam sensor like on a store conveyor

Hello everyone,
I hope someone can help me.
I have a servo motor DOCYKE 350 12 to 24 volt dc.
I want to contol a conveyor belt using pass through light beam sensors. Like in a store conveyor where when the light beam is blocked i need the motor to turn 90 degrees and when the light beam isn’t blocked i need it to revese back 90 degrees to its original position.
Please help i have the pass through photo sensor and receiver along with the servo motor but i don’t know what else i need to do this. This is the only operation this will be doing so hopefully it will be simple for some of you. Thanks for any help.

1 Like

Hello @Ecb12451 and welcome to the forum.

You have an interesting project, and it doesn’t seem too complicated :slight_smile:

So you have a sensor and you have a motor, but you need a “brain” to do the job :slight_smile: I would recommend some kind of a microcontroller, like Arduino for example. It is cheap and available.

So the code will run on Arduino. In the code, you will program what program should do when Arduino receives or does not receive a signal from the sensor. In your case, you will control the motor based on the input from the sensor.

I don’t know the specs of your motor, but you will probably need a motor driver (Arduino Motor Shield for example, which can be stacked on top of Arduino and it will be used to control the motor).

I also don’t know the specs of your photo beam sensor, but it is possible that you cannot connect it directly to Arduino because of the voltage differences, so you might need a connection board, opto-coupler or something else to do this.

In the end, you will need a power supply for all of this. I suggest that you start drawing a simple schematic with all components and it will help you further.

I hope this helps a little bit.

Thanks i will look into this.

1 Like