Servo Contoller, Timed Multiple Servo Control, (TIPS ONLY)

Anyone got any tips on how to do this?

Any idea?

I'm trying to make a servo controller which can control at least 12 servos, and it's timed with a 555 timer IC.

Any idea how I'm able to do that?

I'm only asking for tips, no solid information.

I'm doing this in DIY.

Tips, but no solid information

Yeah, i hate when information gets in the way of a tip. :slight_smile:

• Does each servo need

• Does each servo need independant control?
• What exactly will be providing input for the servos? A micro controller? Sensor input? Direct user interface?

Will they all move in sync,
Will they all move in sync, or will each be able to move in a different way to the rest?

Well obviously you can
Well obviously you can connect all the servo control inputs together if they’re all doing the same thing.
If they’re independant you could use a demultiplexer to split your control signal into many outputs, effectively giving you the ability to control many servos from just a few outputs.

The 74HC165 is a parallel-in
The 74HC165 is a parallel-in to serial-out converter, ie: it takes several ports and turns it into one. You want the opposite of that. The CLOCK pin controls when the next parallel channel is read to be added to the serial output stream.
What do you mean by timed?

Something like

http://www.lynxmotion.com/Product.aspx?productID=395&CategoryID=52 … this?

Dont think it´s a rich mans toy, not that expensive… And why a 555 timer???

//GG

No, not really. You haven’t

No, not really. You haven’t said what the 555 is being used for yet.
Apart from the basic gates, digital electronics all use a clock to process data, but we don’t call them ‘timed’.

Upside down…

or work extra in a gas-station… Think you will get your servo motions quicker working extra then try to figure it out yourself…

Oups- sorry, did´nt mean to be rude…

It´s based on a micro-controller. You can program any microcontroller to do the job, and if it´s not enough with one, take two and make them talk to each other, either through i2c, rs485, plain pulses or serial. Any microcontroller is up to the job.

1 555 can control 1 servo

1 555 can control 1 servo but you might be pushing it to control 12 servos without 12 555s.

Why can`t you use a micro? An atmega168 costs about $5 and can control 12 servos with the right code.

Servos don’t work like that,
Servos don’t work like that, you tell them the position to go to and they decide how fast they’ll get there. You’ll either need to modify the servos or use gear motors instead.

If they have to start moving

If they have to start moving at the exact same instant, you’ll need multiple controllers or a micro or something along those lines, a demultiplexer or I/O expander won’t help at all.
If you can settle for each servo receiving the next command a few milliseconds after the previous one, then you can use a demultiplexer.