Serial monitoring

Hi.

Does anybody know of a decent freebie transparent serial monitor? I've been having some trouble with processing and arduino, (see this), and I'd like to be able to compare what processing and the arduino terminal are sending so I can find the problem.

Thans in advance.

Yes. I know this one

If you are looking for a terminal program that is not a total piece of crap, you are looking for the Paralax Serial Terminal. I have no idea why people keep suggesting Putty and hyperterm and the like --they are all total junk.

PST. That’s what you want. You can find it here.  You want this one: Parallax Serial Terminal v1.2.4

Expensive? No more than the cost of 2 jumpers

If the above is true and you are looking to keep an eye on your serial tranmissions (mid-stream), I would suggest simply adding a couple jumper wires to the RX and TX lines of your arduino. Add another FTDI board (and thus, another serial port to your computer) and monitor away. The processing and arduino should talk just like they normally have, but you can open a terminal program via this extra FTDI com port and see what is going on.

a bit more

There is a slight possibility that you will need to wire that extra FTDI board via a couple 10k resistors. This will allow the main connection to “speak louder” than the extra FTDI. 

Thanks

Thanks for the replies.

bdk6 was right with what I’m after: as it’s seemingly not possible, I’ll have to sort it some other way. I’d try the FTDI adapter, but I haven’t got one at the moment. The paralax terminal seems pretty good, though, so I’ll leave it on my PC.