Sensors used to track human finger motion

What are the different types of sensors used to track and map fingers’ motion? Support your solution with a textbook if you may.

Hello @salman12 and welcome to the RobotShop forum,

I think the best solution would be to use Cameras / Vision Sensors, but there are other options such as:

I hope that helps!

Hello @geraldinebc15,

Thank you for this brief and laconic response. Can you please help to reference these types of sensors? Because I am actually doing research.

Hi!

I’m not sure what you mean by “reference” these types of sensors, but I guess some examples/papers would help:

• Cameras / Vision and Gesture Sensors:
  • Stretch sensors:

https://www.spiedigitallibrary.org/conference-proceedings-of-spie/11375/1137524/The-challenges-of-hand-gesture-recognition-using-dielectric-elastomer-sensors/10.1117/12.2558388.full?webSyncID=6a0cbad0-5932-9ad8-83c9-d902bc9993ce&sessionGUID=d268bead-49a2-8531-ab0d-3a6b03c97c00&SSO=1

• IMU:
  • EMG:
  • Multiple solutions:
1 Like

This is useful of course, but some textbooks classifying these types of sensors and methodology would be more helpful.

I don’t think you’ll be able to find many textbooks that mention all these sensors and how to implement them for that specific application but you’ll certainly find many research papers that can address a specific method or compare different methods.

That being said, I have a couple of suggestions to could ease your search. You can look for “gesture recognition”, “finger tracking” and other keywords in pages like:

You could also look for these keywords on Google Books.

Some of these may not be accessible without paying but you could use a page like sci-hub to have access to them.

I hope that helps!

1 Like

You can use flex sensors.