Seeking RobotShop Community Help Finding a Part

This may be a off-topic, but I am hoping this online community can help. I am looking for a motor designed to rotate a shaft. The controller can be wired, but I would prefer something Bluetooth-enabled. I have a fishing kayak with a Bixpy K1 motor mounted at the stern, and I am looking for some way to control steering from my kayak seat. Bixpy’s solution is to run a cord to a steering handle and then mounts to the motor shaft via a T-bracket. This allows the person to rotate the motor mechanically. Here is a link to the Bixpy site in case anyone wants to take a look Power Pole WillFit™ Adapter | Bixpy Adapters Any help you can offer would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Barry

1 Like

Hi @FishermanBarry and welcome to our forum.

When you mention “motor designed to rotate a shaft”, it is a very broad term. Do you know which type of motor you need? I guess some brushed DC geared motor. What is the voltage that you need?

Do you already have some gears on the shaft you want to rotate? Also, it would be good to know at least approximately the torque you need. Then you would need to choose appropriate controller.

So there are a lot of variables included, and I suggest that you “lock” some of them :slight_smile:

In the end, if you want to copy this product Power Pole WillFit™ Adapter | Bixpy Adapters , I am not sure if you will succeed to make it cost less than 200$.

igor_X, Thank you for responding. I am not sure what type of motor I need. Here are some parameters that might help if anyone has ideas or options.

• DC Servo Motor (I think)
  • 5V or 12V
  • The link in my original post leads to what I am trying to rotate. The blue shaft holds a small kayak motor at the bottom.
  • There are no gears or teeth on the shaft - it is 1" in diameter and fairly smooth. I could attach some sort of gearing mechanism.
  • The motor and controller will be in a marine environment, so they must be somewhat waterproof/water-resistant.
  • The torque requirement is fairly high for a small motor, given that it requires precise motion and there is a high-speed propeller at the end of the shaft rotating at 90 deg.

If you are familiar with the old-style antenna rotors from years ago, that is a real-world application similar to what I am trying to achieve.

I hope that helps, and thanks again.

Barry

1 Like

Hi @FishermanBarry ,

Maybe it would look like something similar to this?

Yes somewhat similar to that.

1 Like

Maybe you could start with something like this:

I don’t know if these have enough torque for your application, but these are small, waterproof and not so expensive at least for testing.

Those both look like good candidates. Thank you for taking the time to respond. After thinking about this issue for a while, I may be going about this the wrong way. The existing Bixby motor is mounted to the boat via a 1" shaft that I thought could be rotated by a motor through about 120 degrees of rotation. 0 degrees would be dead center going straight in the boat. -60 degrees would turn the kayak to port, and +60 degrees would turn the kayak to starboard. Instead of a rotational motor, what if I attached a small fixed arm to the 1" shaft and used linear motion to rotate the shaft? In this case, the motor would need an arm that could be centered for 0 degrees and then move sufficiently in both directions to achieve the required + and - 60 degrees. Something like this motor:
linear motor - MOTOR

1 Like

This is basically a linear actuator.

You can find a lot of these from RobotShop:

To choose a correct one you need to know the stroke you need, a force you need, and I guess you want to have feedback about the position of this actuator.