Scout - Magic Smoke! EEK!

Hi,

Well, having given my new Scout a ‘Hip Replacement’ - a new servo was DOA, I fitted a warranty replacement and it works fine. :slight_smile:

It can now stand up! Yay! :slight_smile:

Then the magic smoke appeared :frowning:

The +ve lead from the main servo battery (6v, 2800 mAh) decided to short out to the -ve lead for the 9v logic supply. :frowning:

With my lightning fast reflexes, I unplugged the battery and saved the day… :wink:

Luckily no damage. :slight_smile:

Now need to tweak the SSC-32U servo offsets to balance / align the servos neutral positions to provide an accurate “starting position” for gait developement…

(It’s all pretty close, but I reckon that a couple of degrees here and there to improve alignment of the servos will pay dividends in the future).

Now gotta get the Lynxterm working on my Win 7 VM (Using a Debian 9.1 host with a Win 7 VM). Anybody have any bright Ideas regarding getting the bugger working? Any help will be appreciated!

Cheers,

Ultraweasel.

well done for keeping it alive.
Iv been looking over my gait flow to get an idea of the best approach. I think i am close.
Not sure if this will help. if i can remember you are making sequences rather than controlling with Inverse Kinematics?
Here is my current gait.

[code]void GaitSelect(void)
{
//Gait selector
switch (g_InControlState.GaitType) {
case 0:
//Biped Gait 12 steps
'GaitLegNr(cRightLeg) = 1
'GaitLegNr(cLeftLeg) = 8

NrLiftedPos = 1;
HalfLiftHeigth = 1;
LiftedMiddlePos = 5
TLDivFactor = 13;
StepsInGait =9;
NomGaitSpeed = 60;
break;}}[/code]

image.ibb.co/k5EiTG/biped_gait.jpg

Hi All,

Well, I finally got my Win 7 VM working with all the software :slight_smile:

Tweaked the SSC-32USB servo offsets to (hopefully!) align the servo positions…

At least the little guy is standing upright and level. :slight_smile:

Now, having got all the software and drivers that I believe I need, I reckon I’m good to go :slight_smile:

Just been working out the servo directions - left leg and mirror image right leg…

Next step is to determine the travel limits for all the joints - don’t want to be driving servos beyond their installed limits!

Fun times ahead! :slight_smile:

Cheers,

Ultraweasel.

great look forward to seeing it.

Hmm,

Just been thinking about how to use the SSC-32 Sequencer effectively…

Now, with a Scout (or other bipeds?) using (Hitec 5645MG) RC servos to control joint movement, out of the box, Hitec servos are CW rotation (i.e. 1500 uS+), CCW is 1500 uS-)

Now, taking my Scouts left leg as a ‘datum’ for servo directions - i.e. left hip forward, requires 1500 uS+ (CW) but right hip forward requires 1500uS- (CCW).

This, to me is complicating the issue - I’m a simple creature at heart, so was thinking that if I reversed the direction of my digital servos for the right leg, I would have an easier time of programming motion - e.g. either leg forward is 1500 uS+, and backwards would be 1500- uS.

I’m thinking that because I’ve got the Little Guy sat on the floor in front of me, having the +/- (Y axis) rotation being the same for each leg should make my life easier?

Any thoughts?

My aim with this project is to get it ‘right’ from the get go.

I have not even started to think about getting my Little Guy walking - I’m trying to get the basic foundations solid.

Any comments will be most welcome - I’m a total, naive, beginner with Robotics! :slight_smile:

Cheers,

Ultraweasel.

If you are looking to symmetrize your setup rather than mirror it you could just plug in a servo signal reverser or hack the servo directly but that would mean taking it apart. its not a big deal and would look tidier than having additional wires.
I think if it helps you work with the scout better them go for it. If you have a solution to an issue then use that to better your project.

I personally wouldn’t. I would try and remain conscious of the set up and just work with it but thats just me.

Still waiting to see this little guy. :smiley:

One of the coolest Scouts i seen.

Hi Innerbreed,

Agreed, that SUKI is incredible !

I (hopefully!) have managed to post a couple of images of the Little Guy:

s19.postimg.org/ddxho35jn/scout3.jpg

s19.postimg.org/d163hvkoz/scout1.jpg

s19.postimg.org/x8jja75bn/scout2.jpg

Having set joint limits in the SSC-32 Sequencer, I’ve had a dabble with trying to get him moving…hmm, it ain’t easy is it? :0

Tricky buggers, these scouts… :wink:

Cheers,

Ultraweasel.