Schottky diode bridge IC for L298N?

Hi all!

Noob question: I'm using the L298N dual full H-bridge to drive my robot's 4 motors, can someone please give me the name of a chip that contains schottky diodes in a bridge configuration, so I can use it on the outputs to block back EMF? Sparkfun does the same on their boards: http://www.sparkfun.com/datasheets/Robotics/ROB-09571-Serial%20Controlled%20Dual%20Motor%20Driver%20-%20v11.pdf

I know that there are such ICs since I recall a friend using a 16-pin DIP in a similar occasion, but I can't remember it's name. I think it started with "L".

Image0170.jpg

Pic: Soon-to-be robot's power supply with L298N. This is the only place on the board on which I can mount it because of its odd pin arrangement.

Wild guess after Googling

Wild guess after Googling: L6210 Dual Schottky diode bridge. Saw it being used with L298.

Thanks

That’s the one! According to the datasheet, it’s exactly what I need. Thanks!

Also, sorry for the stupid mistake- it should be sckottky diodes, not zener. Those are tottaly different. That would explain why my google search turned fruitless.

No problem

I don’t (yet) really know the difference between zener, schottky and “plain” diode. I just searched for “diode array l298” :slight_smile: (I remember that my teacher mentioned zener in electronics class about 12 years ago…)

zener

It’s simple: Although plain diodes only conduct current coming one way, a zener diode can be reverse-biased (inserted the wrong way around) and still conduct electricity if its voltage is equal to or greater than the diode’s breakdown voltage. That means that if a zener diode is rated at 3.7 volts, it won’t block current from either direction if the voltage is greater than 3.7 volts. Schottky diodes have a very low voltage drop, work just like normal diodes and are “faster”.

Thanks for the info

Thanks for the info. I try to keep that in mind. Luckily there’s Wikipedia in case I forget.

Schematic

Would you post a schematic of your board? I need a good driver for my robot project.

SubMicro

nope sorry

I haven’t decided on any particular configuration just yet, the picture is actually what I think it will look like. But I did get it to work on a breadboard using info from the datasheet.