Rover Kit for a Kinect project

Hello,

I’m a student of robotics and I’m interested to buy one Rovers Kit.

But I’m not sure which could be the best option of Kit, for this reason I’m writting in the forum to search some help of us.

I’m interested on a rover robot to control it with a controller. I need to put on the robot the Kinect camera of Xbox 360. I need to know which kit could support the electronic components and the Kinect (weight 600gr).

The chassis sizes I would like roughly 30x30cm.

The maximum price for the robot I’m searching is 300€

Thank you so much in advance.

I wish you could help me.

Regards,
Pau

Hello @Paumi,

Please have a look at these two Rover Kits:

They are both in your price range. First one has a bigger chassis (approx. 20x25 cm) and a bigger payload up to 2000gr but for the second one I like that it has a platform above its wheels.

Also, feel free to put you project in Robots section:

Good options, though keep in mind that neither have electronics. You’ll likely need a motor controller, microcontroller, battery, charger and wiring (among others).

Thank you so much for your options.

Paumi

1 Like

Hello everybody,

My project have changed some specifications. Now I’m searching a robot plataform with a enough payload to resist a Kinect camera, laptop and som electronica.

Also, I want a remote control, batteries, encoders… campatible with the plataform.

Thank you so much in advanced.

Best Regards,
Paumi

@Paumi Some questions:

1. Do you have a budget?
  2. How will the handheld remote interact with the laptop for control of the motors?
  3. Will the platform be used only indoors and if not, what is the environment?
  4. Do you need any special features like omnidirectional motion?

Dear cbenson,

First of all,

I would like to have a plataform with all my requisits for no more than 600€, but this price with plataform, remote control, encoders, batteries…

But I would like to know which options I have without thinking about the price.

I want a remote control to control with a joystick like this two options: RB-Lyn-477 or RB-Lyn-46. I don’t want to control the plataform with the computer.

The plataform only be used indoor.

I only need a plataform with a remote control to drive it on a indoor place. This is one of the part of my project the second is to read the encoder signal of the wheels in my laptop to make a SLAM (odometry) and the laptot will be used also to process the Kinect image with a object detector model.

Please sorry for my explanation but my english is not so good.

If you need more information ask for and I’ll try to explain better.

I wish you can help me to select the best option for my project.

Best Regards,

RB-Lyn-477 is a good option, which can be adapted for use with a laptop. However, turning on carpet won’t be too easy. To complete this platform, you will need the battery and charger, something like:

https://www.robotshop.com/en/120v-2800mah-rechargeable-nimh-battery-pack.html (big)
https://www.robotshop.com/en/12v-1600mah-rechargeable-nimh-battery.html (smaller)

A deck would be useful for the laptop:

Encoders are sold separately (one or two on either side):

A platform like the Arlo is meant for a laptop, but as you can see, it’s quite a bit more expensive:

Other examples include:

Check out this category:
https://www.robotshop.com/en/wheeled-development-platforms.html

Dear cbenson,

Thank you so much for your fast respone.

There are some plataforms very pretty and usefull but a llitle bit expensive for the project.

I prefer the first option of the RB-Lyn-477. You think this plataform can support the weight of a laptop and a Kinect camera?

I will buy with all the complements. Do you recomend to buy one encoder for each wheel?

I have one questions, I don’t understand when you said “However, turning on carpet won’t be too easy.” what you refer saying this phrase?

Thank you for helping in my project.

Best Regards,

Yes, it can support the weight of a Kinect, but try not to turn on the spot.
One encoder per wheel needs quite a bit of processing, but it does track wheel slip. It will be up to you.
Using skid steering (like a tank) is not easy, and you can see when a tank turns on the spot, it digs up the ground:

The same is the case for a 4WD rover - it’s best to rotate in a radius.