Roomba Charging Pad Melting Issue

Hi All,

There’s an odd issue with my roomba. A few days ago, my roomba had an issue trying to mount itself on the charger. Normally I just set it on the platform myself, but this time it was about impossible. Upon flipping it over, I found that one of the charging pads melted into the frame (see picture).

Album of Images

As you see in the album, I’ve taken it apart. A heat gun a bit of pressure will fix it up quick, but I’m not sure it that’ll fix it for good. The pad attached to the red wire is the one that was melted the ground pad was completely normal.

Should I just sell the parts and get a new one? Is there a common issue with the chargers for 500 series bots? Does anyone know of a permanent fix for this? I’m not afraid to do any kind of electronic work.

Being that this is my first post, I’ll give you a bit of background on me. I’m a computer engineer and now all the basic electronic skills like soldering, using a multimeter, resistors, capacitors, etc…

If anyone has an idea please post or pm me. Thanks!

Hi there,

First, this problem can occur if the Roomba is not correctly in place on its charging station but it’s a pretty rare case. We would suggest you to replace the bottom shell with a new one. The charging contacts are included with the bottom shell.

As for your charging station, we would suggest you to replace it, since one of the charging pads has been damaged. If you don’t want to purchase a new base, then you can certainly use your charging adapter and use it to charge the robot directly. We have discontinued the charging station for the Roomba 500 series, but you can certainly find it directly with the manufacturer or on various online store such as eBay.

Thanks! Yeah just tried fixing it with a heat gun. It’s not the easiest thing to do. I’ll just replace the parts.

Just an FYI to any googlers.

From what I found out this was caused by the high capacity battery I put in it, and the fact my roomba often drained itself. These together mean the roomba was charging for really long periods of time plus… I didn’t always position it perfectly on the base, and a poor connection with the base can also cause this.

I have a problem with the charging contact melting, I’m using Roomba 880, is this cover comes with contact?

Thank you

Hi,

Unfortunately, the bottom cover do comes with the charging contacts. We do not have this part in our catalog.