Rocket car v2

rocket_car_program.bas (231Bytes)

This is my second rocket car, designed with Google Sketchup. The image below is additional rendered with Inkscape (also freeware):

ro-ca.jpg

All wheels will be ball bearing mounted:

Bearing1.jpg

Fin.jpg

The front fins should increase the surface pressure of the front wheel at higher velocity.

The rocket car will be propelled by four C6-0 model rocket motors, technical data listed below:

C6-0_motor.jpg

Total Impulse: 8.82 newton-seconds

Peak Thrust: 14.09 newtons

Burn Time: 1.86 seconds

Average Thrust: 4.74 newtons

Propellant Mass: 10.8 grams

A FlyCamOne eco V2 will be added, pivotable by a micro servo. The camera weighs only 17g. Start/stop, mode and 180°Rec-Flip can be controlled by a servo signal.

FC2410_FCOe_V2_smooth.jpg

Construction work details...

rocket_car_frame.jpg

rocket_motorholder2.jpg

frontfins.jpg

and the finished rocket car:

rocketcar-x1.jpg

rocketcar-x2.jpg

rocketcar-x3.jpg

rocketcar-x4.jpg

rocketcar-x5.jpg

rocketcar-x6.jpg

Due to the bearings the rocket car runs very smoothly. It rolls a few meters on even surface if you give it a love tap.

Small update. Mounted the servo for the camera, the battery, launch wires and luster terminal.

servo-camera.jpg

Igniter test with connected control board:

ignitertest1.jpg

Video to jpg converter are really cool. You can study motion sequences.

It appeared that not all 4 igniters started to burn at the same time. These cheap igniters are not made for simultaneous ignition.

ignitertest2_0.jpg

Controller board (Picaxe 08-M) and RC ignition are working now. Camera mounted on the servo.

rocketcarcamera_1.jpg

Igniter_rocket_car.jpg

Rocket car finished and ready to launch. Stay tuned for the video...

rocket_car_electronics.jpg

TBC

** engines **

where do you get the engines from?

Dude, I love your

Dude, I love your rocket-stuff!!

I bought them from the

I bought them from the Chinese Space Agency. In China there is no model rocketry, the rockets are only for educative use.

Will this be controllable in

Will this be controllable in any way?

I’m planning to add a camera

I’m planning to add a camera and remote control the ignition. Additional suggestions welcome :slight_smile:

Computer aided RC Rudder?

Computer aided RC Rudder?

Hm, it’s dedicated to run

Hm, it’s dedicated to run straight. Course correction?

Double post

Hm, it’s dedicated to run straight. Course correction?

Your first / original Rocket

Your first / original Rocket Car did not excactly run straight… But this one should? Because it’s longer?

Yes, I made a few minor

Yes, I made a few minor changes: Bigger rear fin, no independent suspension for rear wheels, longer body, bigger diameter of the rear wheels, smaller distance between the rear wheels and I will also add a front fin to avoid the car will become airborn.

Hmm… Personally I’d add a

Hmm… Personally I’d add a front fin to make sure the car will become airborn :smiley:

But that’s just sily me!

I will make a launching ramp

I will make a launching ramp as well because I want to see how far the car will fly at an angle of 45 degree, like the titel picture above with EVIL KNIEVEL. Is that SILLY enough? :smiley:

Oh! Plenty :slight_smile:
Oh! Plenty :slight_smile:

The longer the better at

The longer the better at high speeds, much more stable than a short one.

PS: you can make your own electric igniters with steel wool :slight_smile:

How much does the mini

How much does the mini camera cost it’s not on the website

I bought it here:

I bought it here: http://www.microtoys.de/product_info.php?info=p636_FlycamOne2-with-USB-without-case--Vers-4-01.html

39.90 Euro plus shippment.

Thank you is it avallible in

Thank you is it avallible in the united states

Hey Markus,try pumping up

Hey Markus,

try pumping up the voltage that you sent through the ignition. I had a similar effect when igniting these fuses, at lower power they tend to heat up slowly before they ignite. With a higher voltage it happend instantly!

Hi DutchBot,Yes, the effect

Hi DutchBot,

Yes, the effect getting smaller if you increase the voltage, but still not simultaneous. The resistance tolerance of the igniters is too big. The effect should be not a big problem for the rocket car but maybe for a model rocket if you bundle more than one rocket motor. Thought already to measure the resistance of every igniter by an micro controller and control then also the ignition by according shorter or longer time delays.