RobotShop LiPo battery with built-in protection circuit?

Hi there,

I recently bought various LiPo batteries at Robotshop (the standard ones with just a black plastic wrapped around them, no label). Additionally I also bought the Tenergy TLP4000 Universal Smart Charger for LiPo.

Now the charger features several warning labels that I should not charge a battery without a built-in protection circuit. Unfortunately I cannot find any information on if the battery actually has this feature or not.

Could you please help me with this? If it is not recommended to use this charger for these batteries, how should I best charge them instead?

Battery: https://www.robotshop.com/de/de/74v-2000mah-5c-lipo-batterie.html
Charger: https://www.robotshop.com/de/de/universal-intelligentes-ladegerat-1a-fur-li-ion-polymer-akku-37v-148v-1-4-zellen.html

@Laurin Welcome to the RobotShop Community. You purchased a nice charger, but not quite ideal for the batteries you purchased (for type of charging and the connector). The batteries have a three pin charging connector, and normally the charger handles balancing. Ex amples include:

If you have a variety of batteries with different specs and connectors and want a universal charger which includes various charging connectors (among other):

1 Like

Thank you for your input @cbenson , this definitely helps a lot!

Just for my basic understanding, the connection of my battery with the three cables attached is used for the balance chanrging and the remaining JST (two cables) and jack plug (two cables) are used for charging and regular usage? And as the charger that I bought doesn’t have an input for balance charging, it cannot / should not be used for charging this battery. Is this correct?

Thank you already in advance! :slight_smile:

The charger is not ideal for that kind of battery. Like you said for the battery itself:

• White 3-pin connector is for charging individual cells using a balance charger
  • Two pin red connector is for regular output
  • Barrel connector is for regular output

The charger you have seems best suited for a single 1S cell, or for batteries with additional balancing electronics.