Robotic Crane using PIC16f or 8051

hey! i'm planning to make a robotic crane.and i reallly need help.

the basic idea is to build a robot WITH PIC16F877A (OR 8051) which carries magnetic loads(it has other auxilliary functions as well)

we had actually planned to triagulate the position of the object by sending out some kind of signal in a small scale radius around the robot,detect the object and carry it to the the coordinates of the point entered by the user where the object is to be unloaded.but due to the complexity of the procedure(and we were unaware of what technique to use?) we decided we'll predefine a path the robot will follow. ie the obstacles will be kept on one side of the path and it will place it at the other end of the closed path.

we plan to use a electromagnet to attach the object whose current and hence the magnetic strength will be software controlled.

weight measurement and weight overload indicator also is planned to be in corporated.

wheel movement and pulley for the weight requires motors. and we were plannin to use a stepper motor for the wheel direction.We also plan to use sensors (infrared proximity) for the obstacle detection and a feedback control for whether the object has been lifted or not has also to be included.

NOW I REALLY NEED HELP TO DECIDE ON WHAT MOTORS,sensors TO USE AND WHAT ARE THE REAL TIME ERRORS THAT CAN COME AND ALSO TO HOW EXACTLY GO ABOUT THE WHOLE BUILDING OF THE ROBOT FROM SCRATCH.

REALLY REALLY looking forward for help.thanks so much

Do you know what kind of

Do you know what kind of object you’ll be moving? How heavy, and what size? How big is the area that the robot works in?

Are you required to use a PIC or 8051?

What is the object made of, that can be detected or moved with a magnet?

Are there ways to tell the difference between the object to be moved and the obstacles in the area?

This^^^Also what is your

This^^^

Also what is your budget?

i was plannin on

i was plannin on demostrating with some kinda metal objects which are magnetic.small scale.starting from 1 gm maybe.

area will be around 6 feet radius or 5 feet.

we have learnt full PIC programming and done a mini project on it… also we’ve done the basics of 8051.if the programming part of the robot requires complex logic we intend to fully equip ourselves with 8051 programming.

we started of the basic idea of moving any object.but since the pulley mechanism got complicated witht he wider range of objects we thought we’ll restrict ourselves to magnetic object.obviously the objects kept in the site during the demostartion is expected to be magnetic.we will be keeping only magnetic/metal objects.

the cost i’m not really aware of the range of prices. we intend on keeping it mediocre.nothing large scale.we plan to build only a small working model to demostrate out skills as an electronic engineer.

can anyone tell me what i
can anyone tell me what i should use if i want to send a signal around a small radius and detect at which angle there is an object so that the robot can rotate about an axis to face that direction and go straight till the object is reached(which can be detected by an object prox sensor)… maybe a angle pot can be used for that.but i dont know which sensor can do this.i have the idea but i dont know how to implement it…

Here’s an article that will

Here’s an article that will “uplift” this question (get it uplift, as in lift, as in crane)

http://science.howstuffworks.com/tower-crane.htm

i thought about sonar.wasnt

i thought about sonar.wasnt sure tho.now that you said.i’ll check it out.thanks.