Robotic arm edge OWI-535 motors only runs in one direction - what is the problem?

Hello,

My son just assembled the robotic arm.
All motors work but run in only one direction.
When I flip the motor connectors(M1, M2, M3, M4, M5), they work in the opposite direction.

The LED does not work.

Checked all wires, everything seems ok.

Can anyone help?

Thanks for your reply,

I checked the soldering of the PCB and everything seems normal.

Will do.

Thanks for your support.

Hello Neberos,

I contacted the manufacturer but their fix did not work.

As you suggested, I replaced the batteries with new ones and it worked.
Thanks a lot for sharing your ideas!
Now my son can use his robot.

MC

Hello

I have just joined and having the same problem. No luck solving it yet.

Hi

I have solved my problem. It turns out that I was using cheap batteries. I replaced them with new rechargeable batteries and the robot arm works great. For anyone else with this problem I would suggest getting good batteries, not cheap ones as I did.

Yes, I am having the same problem. Suggested fix is new batteries so I am going to try that, but does anyone have any idea as to why that would affect it? I measured the voltage to the motors and they only get up to 2.5v while in full operation, and the circuits all have between 3.5v and 4.5v. I am using 4 x 1.5v D cells, so the max voltage available is theoretically only 6V. Am I missing something?

Just assembled robotic arm. New Duracell D batteries, rechecked wiring repeatedly. Same Problem. Help!

@**Tbotbuilder
Do all of the motors run in only one direction, or just one or two?
The manufacturer requests that you contact the directly:
310.515.6800 or [email protected]

I had the same problem, then I found out I put an anode in backwards. The dimple should face out, not in; I felt pretty dumb. Maybe you have the same problem?

I built the robot and to try to increase the speed, I used a 12v battery instead of the four D batteries. When I connected the ground wire to the negative side, it only moved left. When I connected it to the positive side, it moved right. My partner tried to connect the ground wire to both sides but it ended up sparking. Is there any way we can use the 12v battery and have it move both directions?

You should not operate the motors well beyond their rated voltage.

Try this link. I found it today. http://www.owirobot.com/pages/Robotic-Arm-Edge-Troubleshoot.html

The situation is definitely odd and we have not come across it before. Hopefully the manufacturer has, and they would like you to contact them directly. Should you find the solution qithout requiring an exchange, we invite you to post it here so others encountering the same situation will know what to do.

Sincerely,

Hi miss_corporate,

Welccome to the RobotShop Forum. Can you open the unit and check the soldering on the PCBs? It sounds like perhaps one side was not properly sodered. Check very carefully to see if anything looks odd or if there is a part missing. In such instances, the manufacturer requests that csutomers contact them directly with the issue and if an exchange is necessary, they will take care of it. The manufacturer can be contacted at [email protected]

Hope this helps,

Hi neberos,

Welcome to the RobotShop Forum. The manufacturer requests that you contact them directly at [email protected]. They should be able to resolve the issue to your satisfaction.

Sincerely,

Triple check all connections and wiring.