Robot with Raspberry Pi

hi, i have question about a robot that i will be making. I am using a tamiya tracked chassis set, raspberry pi, arduino l298n motor control, and a tamiya dual motor gearbox.
amazon.com/Tamiya-Tracked-Vehicle-Chassis-Kit/dp/B002DR3H5S/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1391362647&sr=8-3&keywords=tamiya+track

amazon.com/Tamiya-70097-Motor-Gearbox-Assembly/dp/B001Q119AC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1391362717&sr=8-2&keywords=tamiya+dual+motor

amazon.com/DROK-H-Bridge-Arduino-Stepper-Control/dp/B00CAG6GX2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1391362746&sr=8-1&keywords=l298n

i will be using a mobile device battery charger to power the rpi. but i was wondering if i could use a 7.2v venom rc car battery to power the motors. this is my first robot so i am very new at this. will the battery burn up the motor controller and the motors? My last question is can i find bigger motors that are compatible with the tamiya dual gearbox? i havent bought the gearbox yet so should i buy it or is there another dual motor gearbox that is better. Thanks :sunglasses:

Thank you very much. Would the two 3v motors equal the whole battery of 7.2 v or would both of them only need 3v power combined.

So those 6v motors won’t work in that gearbox? What dual motor gearbox would to recommend
-isaac

Thanks, I’m only 13 so I’m learning lol your help is greatly appreciated thanks

Wouldn’t the 11500 rpm motors spin really fast. How many rpm is the original? As far as the battery it’s a 2500 mah battery

Will the 7.2v battery blow up the original motors in the gearbox and how many volts can the l298n handle? Thanks

RobotShop equivalent:

Chassis: robotshop.com/en/tracked-vehicle-chassis-kit.html
Dual Motor: robotshop.com/en/tamiya-twin-motor-gearbox.html
Motor Controller: robotshop.com/en/solarbotics-l298-motor-driver-kit.html

The motors in the Tamiya Twin Motor gear box are best operated at 3-4.5V, and if you operate them at 7.2V, they will work, but not efficiently. It would be best to purchase new 6V motors:
robotshop.com/en/brushed-dc-motor-6v-11500rpm.html

The gearbox uses injection molded plastic and bigger motors are not an option. The other approach is to purchase a different frame / motor combination entirely.

The 6V motors mentioned would work in that gear box. They are not “larger” and in fact they have exactly the same dimensions as the originals, but are optimized for 6V operation. When considering motors, you never need to add up the voltages; each motor operates at 3V and ~500mA. You do need to add up the current though, so your battery needs to discharge at 2x0.5A = 1A (minimum).

Remember, those are the specs for the DC motors alone, without the gear down. A gear down reduces the speed and increases the torque.

They won’t blow up :wink: They just won’t run as efficiently, and their life span will be diminished. Depending on the additional electronics, some L298 chips can handle up to 50V, though some are reduced to 12V, others to 46V… It should be in the motor controller’s spec sheet.