Retlaw (Walter's little bro)

As I wait for parts for Walter, I decided to get back to my "Start Here" bot. I had an old Playmobile tank which had some pretty fantastic treads on it. Badda-boom-badda-bing, Retlaw the little robot. This, of course, is just the basic chassis and will eventually get a proper head and sensors and the like but for now, tell me these treads don't kick ass!

Original Blog Post

More soon...

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://community.robotshop.com/robots/show/retlaw-walters-little-bro

Those treads don’t kick ass.
Why did you want me to say that? They DO kick ass!

I’m fairly sure that
I’m fairly sure that Playmobil wouldn’t make a tank. I thought the tracks were familiar, I think they are from the arctic explorer truck as are the red idlers that you have added. One of my favourite Playmobil models.

Indeed they do not, sir.
Not until video proves otherwise!

let ■■■■-booting commense

MIKE: finally a man that knows more about toys than myself, good.

These were the only playmobil tracks I found and the weren’t half as cool:

|x

Chris: Just hack ol' Walters head on top of the retlaW base, and you've got total awesomeness. Granted it doesn't topple over of course:-P

EDIT: Oh wait. Are the tracks from the Dino Transporter kit?

|x

Nice, treaded bots are my
Nice, treaded bots are my favourites!!!

lol those treads look kick
lol those treads look kick ass, cant wait to see them in action

great layout
great layout

Maneuver…
I can’t believe you recognized the tracks!! It is the dino transporter! You’re the coolest!

Playmobil - oh yeah

We have a bout a gazillion tons of playmobil, including a fairytale castle, the modern house (with all the extension packs and interiors), three or four castles, a pirate island, two pirate ships, Noah’s ark. a stage coach, the arctic explorer (dino) sets, a circus, a zoo, some farm stuff, and more people, animals and little bits than you could possibly count.

We also have Brio, Lego, Happy Street, and now WarHammer 40K in similar quantities.

Yup, we do toys on a semi-industrial scale.

The damn video keeps being

The damn video keeps being off-air!

Still, you get 10 points for design!!

CTC, You did it again

I honestly didn’t think you could mount those broad tracks with that wheel. I stand corrected. (Asuming the video will show it moving once its online and available)

I’ll wont award stars until I see the vid.

Nice configuration of tracs!

Like the big gear of the back and the slope on front!

Super!

wicked

Dude this is awesome! I wish I had your kind of skill at modifying toys. :frowning:

Actually, I do have a stupid “remote control metal detector robot” that has tank treads. Gotta disable the clutch somehow, every time it goes up a slight incline or hits a tiny pebble it makes this horrible ratchety noise and doesn’t go anywhere.

The clutch
is there probably to protect your electronics or motors or gears. When a motor gets stalled (motion is blocked while applying full power) it will draw the most possible current. That effect has fried more motor controllers than Ronald has hamburgers.

hmmm…
Okay, maybe it wasn’t a great idea. :frowning: Still, I could steal the treads and a couple of the wheels and add my own motors…

controllers - motor controllers
The motors are probably fine. But stalling your motor (or any motor) will endanger your motor controllers. Search LMR for a description. You will find a lot of ready made components by Polulu. Restrict your search to tips and forums.