Removing the pop-rivets from tracks

Is it possible to remove the pop rivet’s when they are pressed in to connect lynxotion tracks pieces? I feel the tracks I have made from my robot are too long and will use up too much torque from my motors when pulling the weight of my robot. I hear the shorter the tracks the better, so I’d like to cut down at least a quarter of the total track length.

Is this possible? I’ve read that its possible to do this with one of the lynxmotion arms, but I’m not sure how this would work on the tracks…

Yeah it’s no problem really. Every link is a master link. You can remove then reinsert them, but if they get worn you should probably replace them. We sell them separately.

Thanks, RobotDude.

I’ve been searching for methods to remove rivets, but most of what I’ve been able to find involve destroying the rivets. How do I remove them more safely from the tracks–since I can’t get to the back of the rivet–so I can reinsert them (until I can get to buying a pack of new ones?). Would I use a flat-head screwdriver? Is there some special rivet removing tool? I don’t know much about rivets; I mainly work with nuts and bolts for fastening.

Use an Exacto knife to carefully separate the plunger from the shield. Once they are separated enough to get a larger tool in there use a small flat blade screw driver to finish the removal.

Gently and slowly, but even then you have to be ready to replace them if they show too much damage. I always try to keep a few extras around, as I’m not that patient or gentle. For something under stress, like tracks, I like to use 'em once, and if they have to be removed, throw them out or use them elsewhere.
Generally, the tracks won’t need to be assembled-disassembled very often, if at all.