Removing the hall effect encoder from Lynxmotion motor to replace it with an optical encoder

Hello Robotshop team,

I have two Lynxmotion 12V 90 rpm 99.11oz-in 1:26.9 Brushed DC Gear Motors. The included hall effect sensors are not accurate enough for my use case so I decided to replace them with the Lynxmotion Quadrature Motor Encoder V2.

I was wondering if I could safely de-solder the encoder PCB of the motors, and also how could I take off the magnetic disc attached to the rear shaft of the motors to allow me to install the new encoders.

Really appreciate your help, Thanks!

Aarya

The magnet is a press fit onto the rear of the motor and there is a good chance it will break if you try to remove it, voiding the product warranty. This having been said, if you don’t plan to return the motor (and it works), then you may try removing the magnet and if you get it as one piece, all the better.

It’s essentially a thick blob of solder holding the PCB to the motor pins, so yes, it can be removed.

Assuming you manage to remove the magnet and PCB, you’ll need to find a way to mount the encoder’s plastic case to the rear of the DC motor and a bigger concern will be if the shaft of the motor is the correct size for the metal opening of the encoder disk. You might want to check that before proceeding with any changes.