Removing Electronics Potting

Hey guys,

Anyone have any practical experience removing electronics potting?

I copied these directions online but I figured I'd ask here first as some of you guys have tricks for these kinds of tasks....

Thanks for advise!

Unplug all cables attached to the PC board and remove any chips that are installed on it. This allows you to remove the board from the computer and makes it easier to work with. Consult the computer manual or motherboard instructions for proper removal techniques.

Place the PC board on a flat work surface with the electrical components facing upward.

Turn on the blowtorch gas by turning the knob located at the neck of the torch. Light the gas flame with a match or lighter to ignite the gas. Turn the flame down to the lowest setting.

Place the tip of the blowtorch flame over the potting material. Potting material looks like a thin layer of putty on the PC board. It is always hard and varies in color. Allow the blowtorch flame to remain on the potting compound for approximately 10 seconds.

Set the blowtorch down and use a knife to scrape away the top layer of potting material. If the material is not soft and pliable, do not try to force it. Reapply the torch flame to heat the material up until the surface of it is pliable.

Continue heating up the potting material and scraping away the top layers until you get close to the base of the PC board. At this point, apply the flame again for 10 seconds and then gently insert the base of the knife under the lower edge of the potting material. The entire layer of potting material should pop up off of the PC board.