RC PWM control for HT-1 servos

What is the simplest way to control 3 HT1 servos with an RC radio? Can I use the “teach mode” to set up a simple program and actuate it by the RC? Thank you.

1 Like

@dadrobo Welcome to the RobotShop Community.

The RC control option for the Lynxmotion Smart Servos is largely in place for those looking to control them using either a handheld RC transmitter and receiver, or a servo controller. Although a microcontroller can provide RC signals, they tend to also be able to communicate serially, which offers more options and flexibility.

To use RC mode:

1. If there are any settings / configurations you would like to modify before you change the servo to RC mode, these should ideally be done via serial commands. Lynxmotion has the LSS-2IO and LSS Adapter which allow this, but any serial adapter will do, provided you know how to make the connections.
  2. If you only want to select between RC 180, RC 360 or RC speed modes, this can be done via the button menu. After you change the mode, you can connect the LSS as you would a normal RC servo.

Note: If you operate the servo below 12V, the torque and speed will be reduced.

Hope this helps.

1 Like

This is great info and much appreciated! Would it be possible to reprogram the servos to the needed parameters and then operate the 3 simultaneously with one channel of the RC? I am building a neck mechanism with 3 servos snd would like to be able to raise or lowe it with one channel. I know I can connect several non-smart servos and operate them from one channel.
Thanks for your help!

1 Like

Unfortunately RC PWM requires one channel per motor. An RC pulse is simply a 5V “high” for a set time, followed by ~20-30ms “low” to represent the position. Nothing more for any additional functionality or features. If you connect multiple servos to one channel, they will all get the same PWM signal.

“I know I can connect several non-smart servos and operate them from one channel.”

Explain? To confirm, do you mean “channel” or “receiver”?

1 Like

I frequently will run 2 servos with a “Y” harness connected to one channel when I need simultaneous movement from one control input on an RC system.

I need to run 3 servos simultaneously from an RC. I’d like to have each servo rotate differently. Do you think this is possible.

I need to run 3 servos simultaneously from an RC. I’d like to have each servo rotate differently. Do you think this is possible.

“From an RC” - if by that you mean an RC receiver, or RC servo controller, then yes, since you can use one channel per servo. If instead you mean three servos operating differently from one channel, the only way to do that is to reconfigure the LSS (via serial commands), though they’ll each get the same PWM signal. For example:

• One servo can operate from -90° to +90° (mode RC 180°)
  • The second servo can operate from -180° to +180° (mode RC 360°)
  • The third servo can be reserved and operate from -45° to +45° (custom)

Therefore when they receive a 2500us pulse,

• The first moves to +90°
  • The second moves to 180°
  • The third moves to +45°

You can then send a 1500us pulse and they all move to 0°.

That is exactly what I need for this project. Thank you for the great info!

Remember, if you want to configure anything other than RC 180 , 360 or wheel, you’ll need a USB to serial adapter like the LSS Adapter (and a compatible power supply).