Rc car with arduino

Hi guys, I'm planning to make an obstacle detection rc car where the rc car will have its power being cut-off/reverse when the sensor detects an obstacle.

2012-09-03-1517.jpg

2012-09-03-1518.jpg

If I were to use an Arduino to make this project happen, how should I link the Arduino with the rc car?

Thanks.

Off the top of my head

Since you are doing obstacle detection, I think a microcontroller onboard will be required.

Simon33;Did you get anywhere

Simon33;

Did you get anywhere with this, I am running a Robotics Club in the New Year at my local school so I am on the look out for robot bits n pieces.

Whilst in town the other day I popped into a couple of charity shops and picked up an RC car for £3.50, I have not taken it apart but I reckon its only got 1 x drive motor and a steering servo so turning it into a robot won’t be as good as 2 x drive motors but i’ll give it a go.   

I was going to use a nano Arduino and an ultrasonic or I/R detector.

Parts and Software

I know this thread is old, though since someone asked about it just a couple months ago, I thought I’d add my $.02.

If you are looking for “what”, as in what you need, you can go a few different ways. Which way you go depends on your budget, and where you want it to be driving. You’d want to use an Ultrasonic as stated by Sonic33, a SHARP IR sensor, or even a compound eye if your budget allows. But what’s the difference?

Both are accurate, my belief is Infrafred is a little moreso. A sonar can be thrown off by carpet or upholstry, which is more common than wood, which I believe can minorly effect IR, so I go with Sharps: They’re also more compact on average. IDK the average amp usage of each though, which you’d need to be aware will matter on a remote control car.

The past part, on parts, I’ve never yet used an arduino, sadly. I could help you on how to program it on a PicAxe in a heartbeat, adapting the beginners tutorial. 

Again, know this is old, but figured someone else might stumble on it, or Sonic here might like the information. :wink: