Raspberry Pi robot - Big Rob

Hello robotic enthusiasts,

I started this year with the construction of another  Raspberry Pi powered robot. I called the robot Big Rob because it is the biggist robot-car I ever built. It is a 4x4 OffRoad robot for outdoor usage. The idea was once again to develop a cheap chassis. The cheap priceis the reason why I bought a grey and very stable plastic box. Only the DC motors, 43A motor drivers and the big wheels for the bot are a little bit expensive. But the DC motors are very strong and it makes a lot of fun to drive around.
Custom-Build-Robots-Big-Rob

Homepage:

If you like to inform your self about my robot projects and how to build the Big Rob please follow the link to my project website: http://custom-build-robots.com

Software:
All the programs to control the robot are written in Python and available on my website for download.

Driving mode:
The robot has two driving modes. The first one is a remote controlled mode with live video streaming out of the robot. The second mode is a autonomously driving mode. To implement this mode I need a few sensors and a very precise GPS system. To know the precise GPS position of the robot  I installed a differential GPS system. For this differential GPS setup I am using two Raspberry Pi computers and two RasPiGNSS GPS receivers. The RTK library is used for calculation of the position of the robot.

Power:
The latest upgrade I bought for my robot is a big Peak Power Pack. It is a Lithium-Ionen LiFe04 accu with 30Ah and 12V. This is enough energy for my robot to drive around for a few hours. Actual I did not tested the accu inside the robot. If so I will update the post here.
Victron_Energy_Peak_Power_Pack

Happy making,

Ingmar

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://community.robotshop.com/robots/show/raspberry-pi-robot-big-rob

Robot power

43A!!! That is 20 times my typical draw. Does it carry a welder to the job site?

Dear IngmarAre you Prof.

Dear Ingmar

Are you Prof. Ingmar Posner from Oxford ? if my guess is correct, I’ve been watching your researches as long as this time, they are very exciting.

Videos?

A robot qith a quirky personality / look! Any videos you can share here?