Radiolink pixhawk telemetry radios

Hi Everyone- I ordered a Radiolink Pixhawk but I only see the OSD telemetry module for sale on RobotShop. I need a 433 MHz telemetry radio to connect to my ground station running QGroundControl. Which version of the 3DR telemetry radio, or a clone, do I need for the Radiolink Pixhawk?

Thanks!!

Hi nuballawalla,

The RadioLink version is a board which is like the original 3DR PixHawk so you can search for the 3DR clones. (since they are discontinued for years).
Be prepare to have a connector issue (maybe) and have to handle the connection yourself.

Unfortunately, RobotShop do not sell those modules anymore.

All the best,

Thanks. Out of curiosity, why do you still sell a board with connector issues? Seems like you are setting up your customers for unnecessary headaches

And what kind of connector issue? Hardware (like finding the right JST connector), or firmware?

I’m talking about the connectors, physically.
Remember that RadioLink used a slightly different type of connectors so not 100% certain they fit one another.

Ok, so they are not the usual JST connector? What kind of connector do I need?

I’m sorry, i don’t have the exact type.

So, I could buy the radiolink OSD module, snip the wires, and solder to a 3DR telemetry module. Jeez, this product should come with a warning

If i was in your shoes, i would buy the telemetry modules and test it.
It’s been a while since i played with those connectors.

Ok. I ordered a set of 3DR clones but I can’t upgrade the firmware. Every time I try it fails to go into command mode. Time for a refund. At least I know to avoid this Radiolink clone in the future

This is most probably your wireless module, not the RadioLink module.
By the way it’s not a “clone” since the PixHawk was an open project, it’s just another manufacturer that continued the project when 3DR stopped supporting customers.

Perhaps I’m missing something, but what good is a FC that’s not compatible with 3DR telemetry radios? This thing seems like a lemon

I’m not sure you understand the issue here.
Nothing say you cannot use 3DR radio on the RadioLink module. It could as well be your modules that are not working and / or not connected correctly.

The 3DR PixHawk has been discontinued many years ago, this is the same hardware to provide a nice flight controller for the ones in need.

I understand the issue. Not sure you understand my issue. I just dropped >100 euro on something I can’t use. Again, the product should come with a better description - i.e., that it is meant as a replacement for older Pixhawk FC’s and warning that it’s outdated and likely to cause headaches otherwise

I do understand your issue but i think you can actually solve it if you try.

Ok. I ordered a set of 3DR clones but I can’t upgrade the firmware. Every time I try it fails to go into command mode.

This is not clear, are you talking about the firmware for PixHawk or the 3DR modules ?
Again, the PixHawk is the same as the 3DR so it should work in the same way. Not sure about your radio clones however.

Sure, I could probably solve it, but I’m not sure I want to go down that rabbit hole for outdated hardware. Thanks. Done here and moving on.

That’s fine, i understand.
Next would be the PixHawk 2.1 which use the same flight code.