Quiz: guess what "this" is

No prize beyond eternal glory. Guess what "this" is. (Newbies, my squares are 5x5 mm.)

tr_composite500.png

Bonus points for pictures that might have inspired "this". Even more points for sketches of possible applications for "this".

Rik

Those are tracks like Frits
Those are tracks like Frits used in the YDM!

Oh let me guess! Those are
Oh let me guess! Those are to make moulds to cast treads in metal for a giant YDM?

that would be great :stuck_out_tongue:
that would be great :stuck_out_tongue:

and rik, here’s the page

and rik, here’s the page that inspired you :stuck_out_tongue: (see: Molded Track)

http://www.rctankcombat.com/articles/track-systems/

Yes treads!

Or “tracks”, I still don’t know if there is a difference.

And yes, I am contemplating some sort of molding process, so I can build my own links. In series. This is a picture of my example. Just found this close up today. I had no idea they were by Futuba. I always assumed Solarbotics.

From this photo I learned the ground touching surface is slightly curved.That makes sense. I’ll see if I can work that into my own design.

johnny-robot-tread-link-pair-B.jpg

However, I am not going to mold them out of polyester resin. And I am not going to create 50+ positive molds, so I can cast them in whatever metal. I was hoping to use a different material. And a different process.

The Mystery Continues.... Dun Dun Duhmmmm!

Wouldn’t it be easier to

Wouldn’t it be easier to take a mold off an existing track part then use that to cast whatever material you intend to use? or are you going for an organic look?

Plywood can’t be melted into a mold you know!

BIGGER

I want bigger than 13 mm. Maybe 53 mm. From pin to pin.

And cheaper, definately cheaper.

Zinc ?? melting temp. is
Zinc ?? melting temp. is only 420°C

wow i can’t wait to see how
wow i can’t wait to see how your experimentation goes!

Tracks history
I believe those tracks were co-developed by Dan Gates and a gentleman I can’t remember for a robot platform they had in mind. Dan went on to work for Solarbotics and still contracts for them I think. The Futaba moniker only refers to the type of servo spline (25 teeth) the wheel will mate with, as opposed to a HiTec spline (24 teeth).