Quick check: Will these parts work together? Any additional ideas?

Hello gurus,
I built a robot out of pop sickle sticks, hot glue and hobby wire. It eventually fell apart and now I’m working to make it bigger, better and faster… (wrote about it here: The Life and Death of HotSpark the Robot)

I found a nifty rotating base:
/products/lynxmotion-base-rotate-kit-hs-422-servo

a servo to go with it:
/products/hitec-hs-422-servo-motor

and a bracket that might* support my bot and connect to the base:
/products/lynxmotion-ses-aluminum-single-wide-bracket

Questions:

Will these three parts fit together (I thought so, double checking)?

That HS-422 servo is continuous rotation, correct? Do you have one that can have the angle set that also fits with the rotating base? Will the rotating base work with most other servos (understanding that a few are different)?

The bracket is something I need to ponder more. I was thinking about layering acrylic to be used as an outer case for the bot. I may be able to stack the layers and sandwich/screw them in to the bracket. Open to thoughts there of course as I’m just graduating from pop sickle sticks…

Any other ideas? I saw that you had a different rotating base that plugged into more complex looking servos. I really like the sturdy look of that one yet wasn’t sure how to adapt it to other connections. Perhaps that base is compatible with other servos?
/products/lynxmotion-lss-base-rotate-kit

I appreciate you taking a look in advance. Please have an awesome week!

Chris

@owntheweb Welcome to the RobotShop Community and congrats on the Tom’s Hardware interview!

Will these three parts fit together (I thought so, double checking)?

Indeed, all three parts will work together. Note that the bracket is made for the Lynxmotion Smart Servos, but you can indeed use it to connect to whatever you want.

That HS-422 servo is continuous rotation, correct?

Negative. The 422 is a standard 180 degree servo. If you need a continuous rotation servo of the same size:

Do you have one that can have the angle set that also fits with the rotating base? Will the rotating base work with most other servos (understanding that a few are different)?

The 422 is what you want then. The base only works with servos of a specific size. You can opt for a more powerful one than the 422:

The bracket is something I need to ponder more. I was thinking about layering acrylic to be used as an outer case for the bot. I may be able to stack the layers and sandwich/screw them in to the bracket. Open to thoughts there of course as I’m just graduating from pop sickle sticks.

The base has a standard “Lynxmotion SES Mounting pattern” so you can attach almost any Lynxmotion bracket. Some alternatives you might want to consider include:

Any other ideas? I saw that you had a different rotating base that plugged into more complex looking servos. I really like the sturdy look of that one yet wasn’t sure how to adapt it to other connections. Perhaps that base is compatible with other servos?

These are smart servos which are considerably more expensive but a lot more versatile. The servos are configurable, can do 180 degree, 360 degree, multi-turn or continuous rotation, and be operated via RC signal or serial.

It seems you’re creating something along these lines:

1 Like

Awesome! Thanks for the quick and super helpful response. I think I’m all set. :smiley:

1 Like

Also, the Johny 5 bot is now on my Christmas list. :star_struck:

1 Like