Question about ATX PSUs

Hey guys,

My PC’s Power Supply Unit (PSU) went out. I want to replace it with a higher wattage PSU and I notice there are 20+4 connectors where there are 20 fixed pins in a receptacle and then there are 4 pins on a separate connector but the 4 pin is attached to the 20 pin. The other type is a straight 24 pin connector where all the pins are in a single receptacle.

Can I use 20+4 with my 24 pin setup? There seems to be more 20+4 ATX PSU out there than there are 24 pin connectors.

Thanks

Mike what is manufacturer and model of the mainboard in your PC? 20+4 is different than the older 20 + atx12v (also a 4-pin connector).

My PC is a Compaq Presario SR1010z the OEM PSU had 300ATX-12 on the label. I am not certain the exact format of the writing but I do remember 300 + ATX + 12 on it. The connector is a straight 24 pin connector which was plugged into a short 3 or 4" adaptor that plugged into the main board, I assume its an adaptor for the PSU.

I’m not sure if the board is HP or if it is another manufacturer.

EDIT

I did some searching and found out the 20+4 can be used on main boards that are 20 pins or 24 pins. The newer PSUs are coming with this split configuration as a “one type fits all” type of thing, so the 20+4s will work in my case.

Since my old PSU was a 12v PSU and is an ATX the one I want to get will work. Rated 4 out of 5 eggs… :laughing:

newegg.com/Product/NewProduc … 6817170017