Putting up a weather balloon with temp/altimeter sensor - Need advice!

Hi everybody!

I'm a high school science teacher and I'm planning on putting up a high altitude weather balloon later this year. I'd like it to carry with it an on-board temperature/altitude sensor. I'm thinking of using the Parallax Altimeter Module MS5607 module to measure both. My question is fairly straight forward: Do you think that this sensor will interface with the PICAXE 28 project board (a la LMR Start Here Bot)? I am pretty familliar with this board and have come to really love it, so if at all possible, I'd like to stay with it.

Please let me know what you think. This would not be first time that LMR totally helped my projects "get off the ground" heh heh (get it? Weather balloon?). I look forward to hearing your thoughts!

Cheers,

Ian

You should be fine.

Your chip and the module support at least i2c. My only point of curiosity is, you need to keep the electronics warm to keep them functioning. You will only get the temp of the cargo area, which would hopefully stay warm enough to keep everything working. My opinion is, you will not get a great deal of useful temperature info. I could be wrong :smiley:

Heating Pad for the Electronics

This one came into my mind when you Birdmun mentioned the temperature that the electronics need to keep functioning: (Can run on 3.3-5V, and draws around 0.7A.)

Hi birdmun (a.k.a

Hi birdmun (a.k.a Procrastoking? was that it? haha),

Thanks for the comment. Yeah, that’s a good point. I was thinking about putting the project board and power source inside a static bag, then wrap that with some kind of insulator. Then have the temp sensor sitting outside of that, with the temp sensor/altimeter exposed. Maybe I could wrap the sensor board too and just have the actual sensor exposed? Brainstorm, brainstorm, brainstorm…haha

NilsB might be onto something with the heating pad, though. Whaddya think?

When you say that my chip

When you say that my chip supports “i2c” what does that mean exactly?

i2c

is a serial connection protocol. It uses two lines, SDA and SCL (data and clock). If you have a 28x2, it also supports SPI. SPI is another communication option that uses 4 lines; (labeled in differing ways) SDI, SDO, SCL, SS (it boils down to data in, data out, clock, and chip select). I can go more indepth, but, I believe you would learn more if you did the research yourself, then come back with more specific questions.

I have seen projects like this

use the chemical hand warmers that are packed in a mylar pouch.

Having some experience with

Having some experience with weather balloons I suggest to use a small styrofoam box. You don’t need a heating system at all.