Proto flying bot

Jan 1

right now im waiting for some parts, Arduino Duemilanove, Protoshield, L293D x2, atmega328, and some other stuff

im still trying to find some dc motors and props with a side of 2 servos still need to stop by the local hobby shop

and i havent decided on the sensors

as soon as parts come in ill have some pictures on the progress theres not much to do till then

Jan 2

i found this

im going to dremmal some plastic and try and add a duct to it to see what will happen(thanks Saotome)

jan 3

today i purchased a few more parts that may be needed down the road...

as the story goes, I was on my way to Hobby-town USA....a hobby shop that has lots of rc parts (i needed a new servo for my RC copter and a new transmitter antenna)......when i got there the store was for lease and not a part in site....so i decided to go find a radio shack after a bit i found one ..... as i am browsing through bins of parts i happend to find so interesting parts.

1 ping)) ultrasonic distance sensor $32.99

1 memsis dual-axis accelrometer $32.99

both from parallax

and best clearance find ever for $5.97 i picked up a vex power pack...which included 2 batteries NiCD 7.2v 2000mA + 9.6v 100mA with harnesses and a duel charger

this will come in handy all i need to do is pick up some power connectors

I also purchased 2 sets of IR emetters and detectors (2 of each) and 2 DC motors for a later project and npn + pnp transistor grab bag

now im just waiting for my Arduino which hopefully be in, in the next few days

as for the fan i started it up and it has some good airflow but oddbot was right not enough power to lift itself but if i added another fan it would make a good hovercraft base but that is for another project

on hold for now

hover and move by itself

• Actuators / output devices: 2 motors, 2 servos
  • CPU: atmega328
  • Programming language: wire/C
  • Target environment: indoor, outdoor

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://community.robotshop.com/robots/show/proto-flying-bot

size

I am planning about 8 to 12 inches across and using 2 ducted fans one on each side of the brain

since this version is just gonna hover and move slow i think sonar will work fine i might add an accelromter later on for more automated flight but right now simple will be best

third fan

i think if i balance it i dont think i will need the third fan but later on after i get the basics down i may add a small one on a tail for more maneuverability

hm

you’re gonna have to use some light batteries for that. What are your plans?

have you thought about computer fans? i bet you could make them pretty light if you cut away the extra plastic and some move quite a bit of air. would be fairly easy to attach ducts to them as well.

i have looked at some ducted

i have looked at some ducted fans and have talked to some rc hobbyiests and decided that my best chances are with this one here (ducted fan) its a little pricey at the moment so im putting this bot on the baack burner for now

hopefully in FEB i can pick this back up

well time to plan my next bot and a hovercraft design for the third one