Propeller Platform SD, Almost done

ggppsd_boards1.jpg (320718Bytes)
ggppsd_boards2.jpg (108587Bytes)
ggppsd_boards3.jpg (104918Bytes)

I've been cooking up a new Platform Module - this is the Propeller Platform SD. First the basics;

• 2.8" x 2.5"
  • Compatible with all other Platform Modules (DMX IO, LCD UI, ProtoPlus, El Jugador, OctoDriver, PropNet, Prototyper, Tester, Battery, etc).
  • Will come 100% pre-assembled and tested.
  • Includes 512kb EEPROM, 5Mhz socketed crystal, and uSD card slot
  • Super low dropout regulators- although I put 7V on the pcb, they'll run within 100mV of the output voltage, so 5.1v input minimum.
  • Comes with a special bootloader so you will be able to program a Prop without a Programming stick! More on that after the photos.

Here's a picture of a prototype I've been testing for the past few weeks. I put it together by hand so it's a little grungy, but the final versions will go to an assembler (You can see the fiducials in the photo).

Here's a picture of some panels, they just went off to the assembler today;

The part I'm most excited about is actually the software - the Prop Platform SD will come with a special bootloader so you can program without a PropPlug. It will have 3 modes;

1. Run from SD. Grab a program from the SD card and start running it.
  2. Update frm SD. Grab a program from the SD card and store it in the upper half of the EEPROM
  3. Run from EEPROM. Execute a program stored in the EEPROM

This way, you can update your program in the field, without a computer. You can also easily switch programs by swapping memory cards. Programming with a PropPlug / Clip is still an option and headers are on the board. Once your program is running, it can access the SD card like normal, so it's great for doing stuff like datalogging, menus, etc.

Anyway, I thought I'd share it, I was really pleased with how they came out. I'm still working on documentation, but I should be finished by the end of the week.

What kind of price tag and
What kind of price tag and when will they be available?