Promising Wheel and Track set for bigger, more robust robots

I had an idea for an outdoor ROV and decided that a tracked vehicle would be best suited for the job. It would need a track set much more robust than the little Tamiya set, but I wouldn’t want to drop big bucks on tracks and the YDR tracks couldn’t handle wet grass. I found these. They look promising for outdoor projects or even just a larger project that might be a bit heavy for the Tamiya tracks. When assembled the track base would be a bit under a foot long. This makes way for the use of better, hobby quality motor/gearbox sets and bigger battery packs for longer run times. And at under $30 US (before shipping) you probably won’t beat the price.

For the heavy-duty kind of
For the heavy-duty kind of tracks, you can check out http://www.rctankcombat.com/articles/track-systems/ for ideas

I bought from them once.

I bought from them once. They ship fairly quickly. I think my order was out the door the next day or the day after. I would order from them again.

On the other hand you could use the tracks YDM used, but adapt them for outdoor use. A small layer of hot glue or some rubbery material would make them grip better. Of course I hate buying new items (well I like getting them I just hate spending the cash) so I try to reuse items when possible.

have you ordered them? i’m
have you ordered them? i’m looking forward to see in action :slight_smile:

Not yet. I am building
Not yet. I am building this bot in stages. I have a good bit of experience with the mechanical components and circuits but not programming the picaxe itself so I’m starting with the picaxe board and circuits. After I get them set up as I like I will move on to the chassis and drivetrain. It also makes me spread the expenses out :slight_smile: First shipment of parts should arrive today.

don’t know but i haven’t
don’t know but i haven’t seen tank threads with suspension system. Proper kits should have suspension in my opinion, that’s a plays a big role in real tank threads and i don’t see why they shouldn’t also use them for robotics.

**They are available. **

They are available. Unfortunately, the money needed to purchase sets of that quality often isnt :slight_smile:

However, I don’t believe any of the projects on this site have a real need for a suspension system. None of them have the weight/speed combination that would benefit from a suspension setup. I do know how to convert the tamiya track and wheel set to a full suspension. If enough people are interested I might be convinced to do a writeup. (writeup only, I don’t have a track set to demonstrate with)

Mount the axles looser and
Mount the axles looser and put a spring on each axle pushing it downward with enough force to push it down but not keep it down. I would imagine the parts to convert it would be minimal, but consume an hour or two of time.

Oh here’s one i got for free!

DSC02925.jpg

Looks like a Tank Tracked Vehicle with Suspension and a nice enclosure big enough for a Pic and a motor controler... the lid you see open in the picture and is shut making a tight dust proof box and is closed With 4 screwed.. used to have the radio receiver inside.

DSC02923.jpg

OMG It comes With Gear Motors Big Beefy ones and it has a selectable high and low transmission1!!!1111oneoneexclamation point…

where would you find such a thing and for how much!?!?!

well i got it for free … actually it was a remote controlled car i had when i was very young its a machine that’s about 16 years old. its a traxxas fast traxx

This guy is resonable … 30 bucks

http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-TYCO-RC-TRUCK-NISSAN-PICKUP-TURBO-FAST-TRAXX_W0QQitemZ350096499138QQihZ022QQcategoryZ44029QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ht_589wt_0

This guy is absolutely freaking NUTS and he can keep it…

http://cgi.ebay.com/Tyco-rc-r-c-Super-Fast-Traxx-VHTF_W0QQitemZ180287288793QQihZ008QQcategoryZ34061QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ht_484wt_0

fool…

Enjoy the new Chassis source… BTW this will be the chassis that i’m making my olypic challenger on and then there after a YDM… Frits… be prepared for me to bug you/workout donation for Non-disclosure code share :wink:

Chris the Carpenter has some
Chris the Carpenter has some (good) experience withthe products from http://www.vexrobotics.com ! Just FYI :slight_smile: