Project Phoenix, a hexapod robot

You still haven’t told us how you cut the parts. Did you use a band saw? a CNC mill?

He explained on the previous page, 2nd or 3rd post from the bottom.

He glued/taped a paper template onto the plastic and used a band saw and cut by following the lines.

For the tibia parts he made a prototype out of aluminum and used the aluminum as a template for the plastic. He first drilled the servo holes into the plastic and tapped them so the servos would fit.

:slight_smile: I think thats right ^^;;

Anyhow, I noticed that your hexapod is very very flexible. I think it would be very cool to add some accelerometers/gyros to the body or to each leg. This way you can make it auto balance itself when it goes offroad or on rough terrain.

One sick hexapod.

-robodude666

Ah, I missed that! I see where he explains.

Zenta, you did a fantastic job cutting the parts. It looks machine cut!

Very nice custom project indeed!

Wow,now thats a nice robot :smiley:
How long have you been doing robotics for now? It can’t be your first time :open_mouth: What kind of Servo’s are you using? BWT Very good jod with the hand cutting,I love the design.

It looks laser cut :wink:

Hi!
The coxa aluminium parts are milled with a XYZ drilling machine.

-Zenta

I believe they are 645s.

But he also mentioned something about 475’s,so I’m kinda comfused :confused:

Hi!

Last Q first:
I’m using Hitec 645 servos for the femur and tibia and 475 in the coxa.

Robotics has fascinated me since I was a little boy. (I’m now 34…) I built my first hexapod robot last year. I used cable chain for housing the servos. It was extremely strong but too heavy!! :cry: And the legs didn’t have the same flexibility.

Here is a picture of my first hexapod:
http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc6/ZentaOlbaid/PhoenixOld1.jpg

hehe a bit funny looking. :laughing:

-Zenta

Its not funny looking,It reminds me of Lynxmotion :stuck_out_tongue:

Wow, do you also hand cut all those parts? :open_mouth:

bot your hex’s are awesome, got any vids of ur first one? :laughing:

Femur, tibia, coxa? oO’’ Huh? They don’t teach us these things in school anymore.

34? Cool! Got one of them slaves, erm, wives yet? =P

Your first hexapod is very cute also :slight_smile: Ditto with wowy. Looks a lot like lynxmotion ones (but dare I say, cooler). Very nice work.

Do you have any fancy expensive pieces of paper? If so, what major(s). You seem to know quite a bit about hexapods.

P.S. Chunga, guess who i’m mad at? :imp::twisted::evil:

Hi Chunga!

No i did not hand cut all those parts. As I told I used cable chain links. I milled a lot of custom plasticparts to fasten servo into the cable chain links. Here is a closer picture of the old and new leg:
http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc6/ZentaOlbaid/Old-and-new-leg.jpg

My first idea of using cable chains was to make a snake… :smiley:
But I didn’t complete that project.

Sorry I don’t have any video of the old hex.

Coxa Femur Tibia and Tars are the name of the leg parts, check wikipedia:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Ant_worker_morphology_corrected.svg

I don’t see any chain links in that image. =/

Ahhh, thanks! Ants look cuter in real life though :frowning:

what ever happend to Hip,ankle and knee? :laughing:

Arw you kidding? Very technical! looks real cool, that you decided to build custome parts for your robots needs. Very cool!

I wish i had such a talent,I’m not really good with mechanical stuff,I’m more of a programming kinda person.

i hope you dont mind zenta, i borrowed the pic and circled the links to help robodude out

img74.imageshack.us/img74/2465/oldandnewleglinkscriclefr8.jpg

this was brillant, now you dont have to build the axis, they are already built in

robo the first cirle (hip joint/coaxa) probably makes it the clearest, its a link that has been chopped in half and only has 1 side to it :slight_smile:, get it now?

I still see no chains…

P.S. I’m still mad at you chunky chunga.