Project Oxyopus, an octopod robot

Hi zenta! I must say I’m very impressed with it, but I do think it needs some improvements :

The legs are too short for the body, they should be made longer or at least make the body a bit smaller.

I do love the design, especially the color you used for it. But I think you should also put some red on it, then It’ll be pure evil!
:smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

Just my two cents.

Considering the weight and size of it, longer legs would likely not be possible with those servos. I think it’s perfect. Looks very proportional.

That is awesome!

Now you need some claws and a stinger with a webcam to accompany that wicked gait…

Very impressive.

Like I said, just my two cents. :wink:

How’s that battle walker coming?

Hi! Thanks to you all!

Hi Wow7!

Actually I do agree with you about the size of the legs vs the body. I’m thinking of making a much smaller body just for fun :wink: . BUT the current body is quite small allready and it has “plenty” of useful space for electronics, a BotBoard, BEC’s and LiPo’s. Making the legs larger/longer is a bit hard and demands some powerful servos. So trying to make the body a bit smaller is a better way. I’ve been playing with the thought of making a VERY VERY small body. Maybe stacking the controller, BEC’s and LiPo’s on top of eachother, making the body very small but a bit tall?

For the time I’ll play a bit more with Oxyopus as it is and then move back to Phoenix. I must try the new PowerPod version, when it’s available! 8)

I guess its just the picture making it look big then. Yeah, it would be funny looking if it had all those electronics stacked up like that, but like I said, I guess the picture was making it look like the body was big, so I thought it would be possible to make it a bit smaller.

Yup, can’t wait for the new PowerPod! :slight_smile:

Hi!
When I’m finished or almost finished with a project I often reach a sort of anticlimax… Saying to my self: “Ok, what now? What was the point of making this? What did I learn?” :confused:

My conclusions so far:

1. The cheap servos did work, but they where VERY noisy. The standard femur (HipV) servos make a very loud humming sound when Oxyopus stands up. The geartrain and bearings feels a bit sloppy? The low profile servos was VERY nonlinear. Again, you get what you pay for… :laughing:

2. One thing is for sure I won’t recommend using these kind of servos for robotics. If I could afford it I would buy Hitec sevos (or other Hi-quality servos).

3. I was playing with some ripple sequences for the 6 rear legs and I discovered that I has to move all LiPo’s to the rear end to make it balance while walking on 6 legs like an hexapod.

4. It is cool to see all 8 legs moving. But I don’t know… There is something I’m not pleased with about Oxyopus, I can’t put the finger on it :angry: . Maybe it’s the cheap servos… :unamused:

Thanks for all your nice comments!
And thanks to Lynxmotion for this great forum!

Hi!

Nice job! It would be cool if you could manage to make the 5 rear legs walk and the two front would be in front of the 'bot like mandibules or walking like an insect with it’s legs in front.

Hi Sam!
Thanks, I think you mean the 6 rear legs :wink: . Yes I’ve already tried that, but I’ve to move some weight (battery) further back to the rear part to make it balance, it tend to lose balance when walking on only six legs.

Hi!
I’ve moved the LiPo’s backward trying to make it more in balance while walking on six legs. Sorry about the messy cables, I’m not sure if I should try to make a new and much smaller body first… :confused:, and then try to tie them up.

Here is another short video of some movements and testing while walking on six legs (at the end of the video) and holding up her front legs.

youtube.com/watch?v=Ug1ajSmjNAc

Wow, that’s really nice! That’s exactly what I had in mind! :smiley:

Ridiculous! What are you planning for the two free legs in hex mode?

Are you using a regulator with the lipos?

What are you planning to do with your free arms? LOL The free pair of legs can be used to pick up things, stab or just wave for FUN…

Yes, if you read this thread you’ll see that I’m using two BEC’s.