Project Oxyopus, an octopod robot

Thanks Sam!

About the low profile servo in the tibia: Yes you are correct about getting larger steps in a gait, but the main reason was to avoid one leg crash into another legs tibia servo. This makes it possible for the tars of each leg to be very close to each other. This is very useful when I’m making sequences with my PEP sheet.

Wow, that looks terrific. Great machining and great creativity. Very nice!!

I think Jim will be after this design as well! :wink: Compliments to you on great craftmanship!

he would need to stock the hs-77bb low profile servo though, and even that might not be low enough profile to work correctly.

lol don’t take that TOO literally :laughing:

Hi thanks for your comments!

Jim, you are pointing at my greatest worries… :blush: about this project. I’m a bit worried about the low profile servos. Many things like the coxa construction depends on how these servos acts. I’m thinking of its accuracy and how linear the are. I won’t get all answers before I’m done with it and Oxyopus is up and walking :wink:

If these servos acts very badly I think I’ll go for Lynxmotions coxa design, like the one you used on yours Phoenix.

So, you can say I’m very excited to see it walk and move for the first time :laughing:

Time will show!..

Bloody hell.

zenta
. . .
knows
. . .
how
. . .
to
. . .
make
. . .
sexy
. . .
robots
. . .
. . .
period.

Jim, you might want to hire zenta as Lynxmotion’s new robot designer :stuck_out_tongue:

So how’s it advancing?

Got any updates? is it walking?? 8)

Hi,
I’m almost done with 4 legs. I’m also waiting for some more servo horns, I think I’ll receive them pr mail in the end of next week. Have been busy with my family lately (sick kids…).

No walking yet… :wink:
I’ve also been working with a new version of PEP (ver 1.04) for Phoenix. Simplified the generate gait section and the import/export .csv part.
I’ll send this new version to Jim when I’ve done some more documentation.

Hi!

A little update.
All legs are completed now, but I’ve not calibrated them yet (the most boring part if you ask me… :angry: ).
But here are some new pics:
http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc6/ZentaOlbaid/OxyopusBodyAllLeg01.jpg
Standing, iso view:
http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc6/ZentaOlbaid/OxyopusBodyAllLeg03.jpg
Front:
http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc6/ZentaOlbaid/OxyopusBodyAllLeg04.jpg
Posing :wink:
http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc6/ZentaOlbaid/OxyopusBodyAllLeg02.jpg

Sorry about the messy wires, have to tie them up soon…

:astonished: WoW Zenta! That’s super nice work! What’s calibrating the servos exactly? That takes a long time and that’s boring?

That’s incredible. Looks awesome.

Hi Sam!

Thanks, the calibrating is done in SEQ SSC-32 Configuration. Where each servo has to be defined with a max, min and centre position using a protractor on each joint (servo). This calibrating part is very important before you can run any sequences made with PEP. This time I’ve to calibrate 24 servos, and those odd max angle (about 120 deg) on the femur part dosen’t make it easier.

Ok, I remenber calibrating my BRAT… I had tons of problems with saving the calibration, I needed to do it all over a couple of times, and I only had 6 servos! :laughing:

Fantastic pictures!

Great job on the design! The blackend servo horns look sooo much better!

Hi!

I’m finaly finished with the calibrating part. And I’ve just tested the real live scorpion gait.

Here is a little (test) video: youtube.com/watch?v=Nsw0TQOtbYU

I’ll post more information later. Have been busy lately (family stuff…)

Nothing sexier (except girls) than a robot designed by zenta :slight_smile: Lookin’ good.

Shes being controlled by your spreadsheet algorithm gumbo mumbo stuff?

Holy crap. You’re a hexapod (octapod) building machine. Awesome robot man!!!

Now you just need to write a 6DOF leg biped IK engine and your ascension to godhood will be complete. :open_mouth:

or at least he should be able to get a publishing contract out of it. 8)