Programming a Picaxe in Ubuntu

Well, a small comment in the shoutbox caused several guys to download Ubuntu. Good choice, I like it! Here's a walkthrough to programming a PICAXE in it.

STEP 1) Download the Linux Axepad here- http://www.rev-ed.co.uk/software/linaxepad_100.tar.gz

STEP 2) Extract the files to a folder on your desktop called "LinAXEPad" or whatever you want to call it.

STEP 3) To open the application, simply double click on the "LinAXEPad" executable file inside your folder. You can make a link to it by right clicking on it and clicking on "Make Link" and putting the link on your desktop.

HOWEVER: If you use a USB PICAXE cable (AXE027) then you need the drivers.

Step 4) Acess your harddrive. It should be called "Filesystem" by default.

Step 5) Navigate to /etc/udev/rules.d/ IMPORTANT:OPEN THE "rule.d" by RIGHT CLICKING ON IT AND SELECTING "OPEN AS ROOT" You will have to type your password.

Step 6) Your background of the window should be pink. If not, re-read step 5. Right click anywhere in the window and select

CREATE FILE>EMPTY DOCUMENT

Step 7) Open the new file. A text editor should pop up. Simply paste the following:

# /etc/udev/rules.d/99-axe027.rules
# contains axe027 udev rule to patch default
# FTDI product id to AXE027 product id (0xbd90)
SYSFS{idProduct}=="bd90", SYSFS{idVendor}=="0403", RUN+="/sbin/modprobe -q ftdi_sio product=0xbd90 vendor=0x0403"

Step 8) Save the document as

99-axe027.rules

Step 9) Restart your computer to make the changes permanent.

Note: you can do step 5 in the terminal if you want. simply run:

sudo kwrite /etc/udev/rules.d/99-axe027.rules

Please leave a question or contact me if you have trouble!

other adapter

I’m using another adapter to connect my picaxe to my computer and the circuit looks like this:

However by now I already soldered that circuit in a solder board. My solution works perfectly in windows with the Picaxe Programming Editor but I can’t get it to work with the axepad no matter if it is in ubuntu or in windows.

linaxepad detects my adapter at /dev/ttyUSB0 but gives an error when trying to check firmware, however the Debug window works well, showing the variables’ status.

I program my arduino in both windows and ubuntu but I always prefer to use ubuntu when possible and this is something that annoys me.

What could it be?