Programming a pic in linux

I would like to find a programmer for the pic microcontroller that is supported in linux. currently I've been using a programmer that works well in windows but I havent been able to get it to work in linux. I've thought about making my own but most of those require a serial port and I don't have one. It also appears that some people have gotten the picstart plus to work in linux but I don't want to spend that much for just a programmer.

I need a programmer that uses the USB port and works in linux. any ideas?

Love to help
I’m afraid the only ones I’ve seen wokring in linux are the serial port or parallel port ones. You might consider looking for a USB/serial cable which drives LIDIPIPO type programmers. There are rumored to be some RS232/USB conversion chipsets which do work.

I’m thinking of getting a
I’m thinking of getting a Pickit2 since it has support in linux. I was wondering if anyone had any experience using one. Does it work like a ICSP programmer?

Yes

I have the pickit2. Yes, it will do ICSP.

ICSP is the only way to program raw PICs. Some PIC-based designs (eg picaxe) can be programmed by other mechanisms, but only because of a little program called a bootloader which has already been put into the PIC using ICSP.