Printer recommendations

I'm thinking of either building one or buying a kit. Seems easy enough to build from scratch but why re-invent the wheel and possibly make the same mistakes as early builders.

Since funds are very limited I'd like to hear from experience how good the cheaper models are, what designs to avoid or at least what to look out for, and reputable sources. I can handle assembly and troubleshooting so a bit of work is not a problem. I just need something for small volume small parts as I'm not doing too well with casting.

This one looked good on Ebay - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Prusa-Mendel-I3-3D-Printer-KIT-Laser-Cut-Frame-Complete-kit-Black-Orange-/281209068468

I doubt I can go much beyond that price unless it's neccessary. What does everyone think?

I’m a bit biased, but I’d

I’m a bit biased, but I’d have to recommend a Prusa v2 with linear bearings. It’s widely used, has a ton of “aftermarket” parts on Flakerbots’ Thingiverse, and can be built from scratch for about $450 if you DON’T have any of the parts on hand already. I’ve had mine for over two years and it’s only “broken down” once, which wasn’t even the printers fault. I had gotten cheap filament that had tiny metal chips embedded in it which required me to tear the extruder and hot-end down to clear it out. It’s really a tough printer with a nice 200mm³ build area. I do have my eye on a Rostock now, but I’m sure others will be able to say how “beginner” worthy it is (I don’t see why it wouldn’t be, I’ve just never used one.). Good luck.

I believe you are overstating the Z-axis dimension :slight_smile:

Most Prusa like machines are 200mm x 200mm x 100mm +/- Mine is a bit over/under on the X/Y axis and I believe a touch over on the Z.

Without knowing how big of a build area you want,

it is difficult to make great suggestions.

http://printrbot.com/shop/printrbot-simple/

The above link has a build area of 4" cubed.

From the article I read on arstechnica that covered a PrintRBot and a Replicator2, the PrintRBot had some teething issues if I recall correctly.

I believe the I3 is a better choice versus an I2. The improvement of the I3 over the I2 is the lack of torsional movement on the X axis. Triangles are very stable, but, there are only straight bars that connect the left and right sides. It allows for too much side to side flex. Protowrxs has added cross members meant to minimize that. I am sure they help.

It’s hard to say

It’s hard to say how big an area I will need since I don’t know yet exactly what parts I’ll be making but 4" seems a bit small. I would think maybe 6" min. I’m looking around my desk to get an idea and my mouse is almost 5" long, my meter is about 5.5" and they look to be about the size I’d need to make. I’m sure once I get going with it I’ll want to do bigger parts but I’ll upgrade later and sell the old one on Craigslist. The price is a definite plus though.

I have plans for fairly large size robots so eventually I’ll want to make larger parts but I can’t put out that kind of money right now so I’ll be taking baby steps until I get organized. At the moment I don’t even have a place to put one, my office turned into storage years ago (flat roof, no attic)  after I dropped my self-employed computer business. We’re already tripping over robots and circuit boards around the house.

I like the price

I like the price, got a source for a kit or do I need to buy individually. I’ve got a few steppers around here, maybe more once I clean my office and get all my parts inventoried. Somewhere in here I have a box of motors and wheels. I have about 4 or 5 old printers to strip down. That why I considered building one from scratch.

I got my printed parts and a

I got my printed parts and a few other odds and ends from www.makerfarm.com they were really quite good quality prints and shipping is fast. I still use them for replacement parts. (They sell everything as individual pieces if that’s all you need to order.)

I see now they have wood frames for many of their kits. I’m not sure how I feel about that, but I guess if they keep selling they must be ok. I’d try to find pure metal and plastic if possible (they have some of those too) for better stability under different humidity conditions.

I just checked my “Z” and I

I just checked my “Z” and I have about 160mm. I’d have a bit more but my heatbed is spaced a bit excessively above the top-plate. I don’t know why I was thinking 200mm. Thanks, bird. :slight_smile:

Sounds like you could use one of these…
I just built a makerfarm 6" prusa i3 kit and I have to say I’m surprised how smoothly the whole process went. The criteria you listed in your post match pretty closely what I was looking for in a “3d printer building experience”. They make it in 6" or 8" build area so you have options regarding size. The laser cut birch ply frame is surprisingly rigid once fully built…although I have experienced some hardware loosening from vibrations…but I can live with that. I haven’t experienced any major issues. I definitely recommend this kit…and this company…customer service is amazing…emails are answered almost as fast as you can send them. All in all, amazing deal.

Newly high quality and low cost 3D printer is available!!!

Elecrow 3D printer can be the most popular printer — Prusa i3 3D printer kit. It is the newest and most current 3D Printer design by RepRap Core Developer Prusajr. It is a very popular design, which led to many people creating derivates. Elecrow according to the original design to optimize the parts, the acrylic structure makes the printer much easier to operate and has more stable performance. This is the most outstanding feature of Elecrow 3D printer. What’s more, we can offer you the most competitive price!

Besides, there are also many other advantages of our 3D printer: it is time-to-market that can allow your ideas to develop faster than ever. Prototyping injection mold tools and production runs are expensive investments. It can be time-saving and money-saving as 3D printing process allows the creation of parts or tools through additive manufacturing at rates much lower than traditional machining.

What’s more, 3D printer can help you to mitigate risk as being able to verify a design before investing in an expensive molding tool is worth its weight in 3D printed plastic, and then some. With 3D printing, you can personalize, customize and tweak a part to uniquely fit needs. 3D printing allows a product developer to make breakthroughs at early stages that are relatively inexpensive leading to better products and less expensive dead-ends.