Powering a Small 5v Inductive Coil in a small space

Hi, I’m building a decoder disc for a puzzle, with pieces that slot into the top. I want to put the wireless inductive coil in the base of the disc, so that when each piece is slotted into it, with a wireless led attached to them, the led lights up.

Can someone advise me on the smallest way to power the 5v coil? Is there a small battery supply that doesn’t need connecting to main / exteriors?
Ideally I want to stash the wires and battery in a compartment below the base (approximately 10cm diameter, and as tall as it would need to be to house the battery).

Thanks!

1 Like

Hi @oakleydoak13 and welcome to our forum.

I guess your choice could be button cell battery or LiPo battery.

Do you need exactly 5V or there is some tolerance on this? What would be your current draw for this?

Button cell batteries are small, not rechargeable, so you could stack couple of these to get the voltage. But current draw is low for these.

LiPo should be better, you can recharge them, they would last much longer, but they are also bigger, and improper usage can lead to fire and/or explosion.

Hey! Thanks for your reply!

Yeah I was looking at this one:

It says it requires a 5v power supply, I wonder whether a 3.7v coin battery would power it at all. It would need to work for about an hour.

I did look at the LiPo ones, but yeah like you said I’d be worried about misusing it.

I don’t know WHY there isn’t a small coil pack with the battery supply attached, this would make so much more sense!

1 Like

What would be your suggestion for the neatest smallest voltage converter between the cell and the coil?

I had seen this:

I’ll admit I’m a little out of my depth, ha ha, I build the mechanics of physical puzzles, all the spinny clicky locky things. Electronics are not my strong suit, that’s why I was hoping there’d be a ready-made battery-attached version, as the notion of the coil and wireless LED’s is pretty simple.

I just need to power the bugger! Ha ha! And have space in the item’s base to store it.

1 Like

Yes, this little PCB seems like a good choice.

But I think coin battery would be very small to power this inductive coil kit. Although, it should be very easy and cheap for you to try this. If it fails, you would switch to LiPo battery.