Please help me with my battery issues

Hello everybody!

I'm building a tank robot using some Bosch PSR 18 drill motors (got a great deal, £10 each).
They didn't come with batteries.. and I'm not sure how to power them.

I thought about buying the bosch battery packs on ebay but turns out they're quite expensive, and I'm trying to do it all cheap.
So I thought, get some similar battery packs.. 18v 1500mah, but they're expensive too.

I really need help, all I plan on doing is flicking the power on and off with a few relays to move the tank.. nothing clever.

Why do people use battery packs instead of just a dozen rechargable AA batteries? I have some that are 2900mah and weren't too pricey, so maybe that could power one or both at the same time?

Sorry to ask noob questions, I'm sure this is all trivial to some people!

Thank you in advance,
Michael.

Which battery

Hi

I say to forget about AA batteries to power such motors.

As 6677 said, AA are rated at 2C at best. I assume you need some power since you picked those motors but you have to feed them accordingly.

I used some time ago a couple of drill motors rated at 14V. As power source I used 3 cells 2500mA-20C LiPo pack, that means I can rely on 40A/12V when fresh charged. As speed controllers I used two Roxxy ESCs 20A.

So, if your motors are for 18V,  you can go with a 4cells LiPo pack, able to supply required amperage (you have to check how much your motors need) or you can use a deep-cycle gel battery (as those used in wheel chairs).

Hope it helps

Thank you so far!

Thank you for your help so far everybody!

I’m going to give up on the AA battery idea, thanks 6677.

Got to admit, I can’t find 18v battery packs on Hobbyking… or anywhere really for that matter!
Can I use a lower voltage? The robot I’m building is a tank, about a foot long with a wooden base… so it doesn’t need crazy power.

Presumably I only need the one 18v battery pack, and then wire up the motors in parallel. I have no idea how to test how many amps it draws, as I guess I’d need a battery in the first place to run it and connect a multimeter up.

Have you thought of LiFePo4 batteries?
Hi:

I have ordered some LiFePo4 batteries for a couple of my new bots. One is a 12v 10 amp-hr battery, and the other is a monster 24v 100 amp-hr battery. Both of these were ordered from batteryspace.com.

Nah

Nah. I’m not really looking for them to be particularly long lasting… all I want is them to power the motors and not burn it out, or explode.

Only really wanted to spend about £20(/$33/€25) or less if possible too :)