Playing around a some with Actobotics bits-n-bobs - Mobile boom and claw

Playing around a some with Actobotics bits-n-bobs last night and tonight a bit.  Marked-up a claw and boom bot with some parts.  Not sure if this will be the final design, but it works ok this way just moving the arm up an down. I may make or buy a gear box for it, unsure now as of yet. I may even use a tentioning spring. Just something to do to pass the time! :)

IMG_0645.jpg

IMG_0658.jpg

IMG_0653.jpg

UPDATE: 07/11/2015

Test of design #2 of boom. Changed from 9" channel to a tube boom, moved servoblock connection back 1.5" and added makeshift counter weight. I think it still needs a gear box on the servo.

A video of it here.

Moved the boom further back to the rear for better stabliity.

Have it with an Arduino/Bluetooth and Pololu serial servo controller running the show.  Still need to wire up the motors and get the gripper servo hooked up. The boom is weight neutral now with the three wheels on the rear. 

IMG_0671.jpg

UPDATE: 07-14-2015

Have all the electronics mounted and the boom counter balanced.  I may change to a 1" steel ball for the caster, not sure yet. I want to test in an open area first before I decide. Working a bit on the Python code I did a while back for better and easier control. Planning on adding speed control settings to the app as well and a 180deg turn left or right. I'm going to get an old Andriod phone to play with BT control from there as well. I have found I really like the Pololu servo controller a lot. Simple and no fuss! (see above for link)

Latest pics:

FullSizeRender__5_.jpg

FullSizeRender__4_.jpg

The Python control app:

Screenshot_-07142015-_09_28_14_AM.png

I’m a bit curious about how

I’m a bit curious about how much the arm can lift. That standard servos usually are rated for 4-11kg/cm and the arm looks long 20cm or more.

Well…

For this I am just shooting for a Vex Clawbot like robot made with the Actobotics parts.  Not going for moving a supper amount of weight, just playing. :slight_smile:

I have the boom and gripper all weight neutral with the counter balance on the rear, so the servo is not having to lift any of that really. The servo is mounted on a block that helps it with the load a little, by placing the load on the block and not the servo as much. The servo I have on the boom is a HS-645MG and is rated at 7.7kg.

Again, this was just for goofing around with the parts I had on hand and make the Vex type bot. If I wanted left a real load, I would not use this method, but make or buy a servo gear box or something similar.