Plans

Does anyone draw or sketch what they are going to build? Also do you write down your programming?

Yes, yes, and yes.

Piles of post-it notes. A few 3-ring binders. Lots of eraser crumbs. A link to a related post.

Paper and pencil

I would say that 80% of my code is done with paper and pencil. I print hard copies all the time and I have sticky notes EVERYWHERE.

Take notes as you code, period.

I draw pictures of code

If your playing with blocks in code then you need block diagrams…  I draw lots of blocks and how they connect and talk to one another…

If I run into a difficult section, I’ll walk away…  (no touchy the computer - if you do, your probably gonna make a bigger mess)

I got to the top of Mt. Tabor to contact the magic elves, and by the time I leave - the problem is usually solved…

Only then do I start putting the code in…

Google Sketchup - is fine for 3D mechanical drawings…  Its much faster (once you get the hang of it) and you can flush out some issues before committing the time and materials…

:scribbles quickly:… Magic

:scribbles quickly:

… Magic elf hideout… Location found… Must sequester…

Thanks

Thanks you guys

I’ll write pseudocode on

I’ll write pseudocode on paper or on my phone or something else and then work from that.

Designs I usually draw with pen and paper or draw them up in FreeCAD.

I also keep a “nightpen”(a pen with an LED on it) and a small notebook by my bed in case I wake up and have an awesome idea, usually ideas aren’t that the morning after, but sometimes I’ve solved something in a really clever way :slight_smile: